back to article Belkin flings out patch after Metasploit module turns guests to admins

Belkin has patched a vulnerability in a dual band router that allowed attackers on guest networks to gain root access using an automated tool. The flaw reported overnight targeted the Belkin N750 dual-band router – which was launched in 2011 and is still sold by the company and other commerce sites. IntegrityPT consultant …

1. Tom from the States

Because the October Belkin router outage problem wasn't enough...

I am surprised this story didn't link to the Register's story on last month's Belkin outage problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> unprotected guest networks turned on by default

WHY?

Did one of the "special people" from the marketing department come up with that idea?

3. asdf

ground hogs day on factory firmware

Manufacturer firmware is always always steaming hot garbage on consumer grader routers so:

#1 - always before buying a router check to see if open source firmware exists for it. In general if OpenWRT (most others are derivatives) doesn't support it don't buy it.,

#2 - a short google search tells me this model doesn't seem well supported but there is at least one open source solution out there. If you were dumb enough to buy this router I wouldn't trust Belkin software any longer and would look at the solution found on dd-wrt forums below.

"Only Padavan firmware is available..."

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=139046&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=525

1. asdf

Re: ground hogs day on factory firmware

Also to nip it in the bud now I can't edit, yes I am obviously aware of Tomato and dd-wrt not being based on OpenWRT and while I have have ran all three on various routers (and many others, really like pfSense and M0n0wall as well on a gateway) for most non tech geeks I tend to recommend Gargoyle as its very user friendly. Anything I named is 100x better than almost all consumer grade factory firmware security and often stability wise as well.

1. Gert Leboski

Re: ground hogs day on factory firmware

+1 for pfSense, although I prefer the up-to-date 'native' pf that started in and still comes as standard in OpenBSD. Now that's a cracking OS and packet filter to be protecting yours from them.

From what I can gather, the pf that gets packaged up for FreeBSD, as in pfSense, is always a version or two, maybe three, behind OpenBSD's current.

Get on OpenBSD. The simplicity it offers makes FreeBSD look like a big complicated beast, at least to me anyway.

4. jelabarre59

Just wait 5 days

They're Belkin routers. All you have to do is wait 5 days and the router will fail all on it's own. It will be perfectly secure then, because it won't be working anymore. I think Belkin routers must be made by Lucas...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like