back to article Murder suspect charged after pics of strangle victim posted on 4chan

A man suspected of killing his girlfriend – and believed to have posted pictures of the victim on the 4chan chat board – has turned himself in to the police. Amber Coplin was murdered. Her 13 yo son found her, called his dad and 911. He's with other relatives now. pic.twitter.com/MmAY4BYj0Z — Alison Grande (@AlisonKIRO7) …

1. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

The child

From the wording of the article, the 13 year old still has his Dad at least. That is something to hold onto during the earthquake that has happened to him.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: The child

Well, the tweet say the son is "with other relatives", so who knows?

And aside from the obvious thoughts about him strangling her, and then posting pictures, what sort of sick fuck would plan it so that her 13 year old kid would discover her body? He could easily have tipped off the police before that happened.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

The sort of sick fuck who would murder someone for internet fame, perhaps.

1. Turtle

@Graham Dawson

"The sort of sick fuck who would murder someone for internet fame, perhaps."

How did you manage to get that from the story? 'Cause it wasn't there. To me, the fact that he wrote "She killed me first" on the wall kind of makes his "reasons" pretty clear. So your explanation could be very interesting.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The man is a sociopath. Even after the murder, everything he's done is focussed around him and his future. He clearly has little regard for anyone beyond himself.

There's many sociopaths in our society and they hide in plain site. Fortunately many would not go as far as this individual, but they do wreck lives and generally cause misery for those around them.

If we do more as a society to recognise sociopathic traits and out these people, we may be able to go someway to prevent such tragic and horrendous events from taking place. Take some time out this weekend and learn how to recognise a sociopath - it could be the most valuable thing you do.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Take some time out this weekend and learn how to recognise a sociopath - it could be the most valuable thing you do.

And then what?

Also, I know how to recognise a sociopath: the fuckers post anonymously on internet forums. Now if you would be so kind and turn yourself in at the local plodshop...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And then what?

Avoid them.

Also, I know how to recognise a sociopath: the fuckers post anonymously on internet forums

It's done to avoid sociopathic fuckers like you. And you dare to suggest that "ElReg!comments!Pierre" is anything other than anonymous.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

It's done to avoid sociopathic fuckers like you.

Bullshit. In the present case it's done so that you can profer stupidities without having to own up. It's done so that you can be part of the faceless mob, the "spot a black / communist / Japanese / paedo / muslim / "domestic extremist/ sociopath" mob (by approximate chronological order). It is in essence in the present case the functional equivalent of the KKK's pointy white mask/hat.

And you dare to suggest that "ElReg!comments!Pierre" is anything other than anonymous.

Yes I dare. You may want to have a look at a dictionnary sometime; try "P" as in Pseudonymous.

2. asdf

>There's many sociopaths in our society and they hide in plain site. Fortunately many would not go as far as this individual, but they do wreck lives and generally cause misery for those around them. If we do more as a society to recognise sociopathic traits and out these people,

Are you kidding? Society worships these people and gives them enormous piles of money. They are found in the C-Suite of virtually every major corporation and they have succeeded in getting society to now believe greed is a virtue and empathy is for the weak.

3. Slabfondler

"There's many sociopaths in our society and they hide in plain site." - indeed, I think most politicians and corporate leaders would pass a "Are you a sociopath" test with flying colours!

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    WTF?

John Brunner was a genius

Clearly moot needs to open a new board, /confessional/, where everybody can be the priest behind the screen.

Somehow it's like that "Shockwave Rider" opening...

"Yes, little sister?" he said in a neutral tone.

"Father, I got to make confession or I'll be damned!" she sobbed. "I shivved my mom - cut her all to bits! I guess I must have killed her! I'm sure I did!"

Time seemed to stop for a long moment. Then, with what calm he could summon, he uttered what had to be said for the benefit of the record... because, while the booth itself was sacrosanct, this veephone circuit like all such was tied into the city police-net, and thence to the tireless federal monitors at Canaveral. Or wherever. There were so many of them now, they couldn't all be in the same place.

Memo to selves: would be worth knowing where the rest are.

His voice as gritty as a gravel road, he said, "My child" - aware as ever of the irony in the phrase - "you're welcome to unburden your conscience by confiding in me. But I must explain that the secrecy of the confessional doesn't apply when you're talking to a microphone."

1. jcrb
      Thumb Up

Re: John Brunner was a genius

1000 bonus points to you for pulling up that reference from just a great work, I tip my hat to you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: John Brunner was a genius

downvoters, it was irony, me thinks.

3. john devoy

Hopefully this pathetic loser will spend the rest of a very long life in a harsh prison.

1. larokus

While I agree he should suffer dearly, costing taxpayers millions over the years does not seem just. We need to dig a giant deep pit we'll call aussie 2.0 in which we'll dump all the scum into and let them live like the animals they are. Like the prison in Riddick maybe? Now if we can only find some hybrid super cats.

Lunch time

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How about we just rename the Pacific trash vortex to Aussie 2.0?

1. tony2heads

I propose Erta Ale for a place for such

also known as the 'Gateway to Hell'. Just parachute them in.

The locals are also known to be hostile to oustiders

2. Pen-y-gors

Too much effort needed to dig a pit

Why not just use Aussie 1.0? Worked well for many years.

3. asdf

Where do you draw the line of who goes? Bets as usual darker skin factors in to the equation as well eventually? Still that said I have no sympathy for this POS.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Coplin's car was missing from her home, and was pulled over for a traffic violation at 1.15am on Wednesday by police. The driver, believed to be Kalac, DROVE off at high speed and a chase ensued, but police broke off THE pursuit after the suspect crossED lanes and started weaving through incoming traffic.

TFTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

s/incoming/oncoming/

;-)

5. Paul Smith
    IT Angle

Why is this here?

A sick fuck kills a woman, and posts/boasts about it on 4chan.

The same sick fuck announces that he has deliberatly arranged for a child to find his dead mother and that he intends to commit suicide by cop.

What do the sick fucks on 4chan do about it?

What is the IT angle?

Is it a sick fuck usng the internet to boast about his 'acheivements'?

Or is it the sick fucks on 4chan doing nothing to stop a drama from turning into a tragedy?

Does El Reg really believe this sick fuck deserves the 15 minutes of fame you are helping him to get?

6. Bernard M. Orwell

I know we're all condemning this guy, as is probably right and proper, but is it only me that is detecting the note of something deeply tragic beneath the surface story?

What he wrote on the wall? The waiting for the police to arrive so they'd shoot him? The understanding that he'd done something terrible and that he would be no more soon? The fact he turned himself in, ultimately?

I don't think we have the whole tale yet.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Step back you fool!

Never get in the way of a lynching

2. Eddy Ito

While we may not have the whole tale, short of a very short list of things there is nothing deeply tragic enough for murder to be an acceptable response. The very fact that he seems to be in reasonably good physical health means he wasn't tortured and no mention was made of his children or family, should he have any, so it's unlikely that anything happened to justify strangling her, which is a very up close and personal way to commit murder. No, more likely than not she merely tried to break off the relationship and I'm sorry but even if he has abandonment issues because his mommy left him at the mall one weekend when he was six it isn't a reason for murder much less an excuse. According to the LA Times he has a criminal record which includes assault and domestic violence.

7. AsherGoldbergstein

The anonymous poster said he had a BB gun that looked real and was going to attempt suicide by cop. As ever Iain, do your research properly before posting a story.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

???

From the article: The anonymous poster said they had an air rifle and was intending to threaten police with it until they shot him.

(although the pronouns do look a bit mixed up ;-) )

8. tojb
    Windows

that is the beard of a vain fool

Now my beard, my beard is the beard of a wise man.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I saw this

as it was going up live on 4chan but was too busy fapping to the furries to pay much attention.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon