back to article Verizon Wireless token tracker triggers tech transparency tempest

Verizon Wireless is monitoring users' mobile internet traffic, using a token slapped onto web requests, to facilitate targeted advertising even if a user has opted out. The unique identifier token header (UIDH) was launched two years ago, and has caused an uproar in tech circles after it was re-discovered Thursday by …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy to say

"So there are never any surprises".

Really? If these are official Verizon words, I wonder if they could come back to haunt. The timing is right.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Easy to say

If you know Verizon then this isn't a surprise at all. In fact it's exactly the sort of behavior that I've come to expect from MCI/WorldCom/Verizon.

1. Lost In Clouds of Data

Re: Easy to say

If you know Verizon then this isn't a surprise at all. In fact it's exactly the sort of behavior that I've come to expect from pretty much all the US IP providers.

There, FTFY.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Madness

Risking serious damage to the company's reputation in its core business just to make a few bucks on a sideline.

1. P. Lee

Re: Madness

Assuming there is competition...

3. EJ

As a VZW customer, let me comment on the ending statement from VZW...

Bullsh#t.

4. William Boyle

Right!

From this: "A company spokeswoman told Advertising Age earlier this year that the UIDH was "privacy safe" and that it had done "everything and more" in "communicating often and clearly" about the program. "So there are never any surprises," she said."

Add $5 and you can get a nice latte from Starbucks!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like