back to article Remember the Aereo streaming TV service? Wasn't it COOL? Well, it's pretty much dead now

Embattled streaming TV service Aereo was dealt a fatal blow Thursday as a US judge barred the service from broadcasting live television streams. Judge Alison Nathan ruled in favor of the broadcasting companies looking to bar the service from showing their feeds to customers online, issuing a temporary injunction to block the …

1. Mark 85

They won't quit

I guess they get points for trying. But I'm sure they lose points for not wanting pay the broadcasters their due. It will be interesting to see how they re-invent themselves after this battle.

1. unitron

Re: They won't quit

After the Supreme Court said they were essentially a cable company, Aereo tried to do what cable companies do, retransmit and pay a fee to those whose signal they were retransmitting.

The broadcasters refused the deal.

Or rather, the companies that own the broadcast networks and a bunch of other non-broadcast channels they want bundled in with the broadcast stuff refused to only let Aereo pay them for, and only offer to customers, just the broadcast stuff.

In other words, the broadcasters are really trying to stick it to cord cutters who, because of geography or the rules of the buildings in which they live, cannot access the free over the air signals which they want, and which are all that they want.

If the broadcasters could figure out a legal way to do the same thing to people who get great over the air reception, they'd do that as well.

1. Tex Arcana

Re: They won't quit

"...because of ...the rules of the buildings in which they live, cannot access the free over the air signals"

Federal Law prohibits barring or blocking access to free OTA transmissions, in all cases.

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Reformulate themselves as a Condominium Corporation

"But Me Lord..., t'is not us that are doing these acts. The individual titled owners of each defined signal path have full ownership and control of their individually owned system. Our only role is that of the essential management of the facility. For this we charge a monthly fee, to pay for power and our Management Services."

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

"They won't quit"

Thermodynamics 101, Aereo style:

They won't win.

They won't break even.

They won't quit.

2. Christian Berger

That's why we need to do that in a distributed sense

We just need to make sure there is no central instance you can turn off. Peer to Peer video streaming should be possible, and if latency is not an issue, it might even work via Tor hidden services.

Just set up a few Tor hidden services as well as "mirrors" or cashing proxies and you should be set.

1. dotdavid
      Headmaster

Re: That's why we need to do that in a distributed sense

"cashing proxies"

Is that one you have to pay for? :-P

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    FAIL

So many dead horses

American TV networks are due for a sudden epic failure. Cable TV fees continue rocketing upwards long after people have reached the point where they no longer want to pay for it. To have TV networks sue Aereo for improving penetration into the targeted advertising market must feel like a big F-U to their other source of income. A point of no return will be reached where broadcasters are so despised that no tweaking to the price model is going to fix it.

It's a shame that this must happen now because IPTV isn't at all ready to take over. There are no widely adopted systems ready for distributing massive amounts of subscription video and there are few ISPs that aren't owned by broadcast network. Cable TV/Internet/Broadcast companies will laugh at the collapse and start selling expensive video data passes to "protect" their networks. People won't pay that either so it will just become a long, ugly standoff.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't receive Broadcast where I live!

I live at the bottom of a large hill and I as well as many residents here in my town have a difficult time getting Broadcast TV because all the stations (except Canada) transmitters are blocked by the hill.

Cable TV is my only option as satellite is blocked by the same hill or the multitude of trees and there is no fiber here. How is Aereo causing an issue for Broadcast here?

Aereo or some other streaming service would be great except buying subscriptions to EVERY streaming service (HULU, Netflix, etc etc.) would end up being as costly as the crap I have with Time Warner once you figure in the cost of Internet needed to access the streams.

SOMEONE (Do you hear me FCC?) needs to competently regulate the various transfer mediums and each of the vendors so there is competition in EACH market, even against Broadcast or Cable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can't receive Broadcast where I live!

"SOMEONE (Do you hear me FCC?) needs to competently regulate the various transfer mediums and each of the vendors so there is competition in EACH market, even against Broadcast or Cable."

We've got a regulator in the UK that doesn't seem to be doing much, maybe they'd be interested in a trip overseas? Nobody here would notice their absence...

5. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

If Aereo has all this streaming capable hardware...

New business model:

Source content from the creators and stream it to the consumers.

Change name to AereoFlix.

Appoint a VP of Continuously Whining about 'Net Neutrality'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like