back to article Want to own .app, .blog or .pet? Best sell a third of yourself for $100m on London Stock Exchange

Internet registry Afilias hopes to build a $100m (£62.3m) war chest by floating on the London Stock Exchange – just in time to spend the cash snapping up the rights to new dot-word domains. The company will sell 30 percent of itself next month, ahead of a critical dot-word auction planned for 17 December. Some 21 valuable new …

1. frank ly

I like Auction #6 Contention Set 11

On the new internet, everybody will know you're a .dog.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've already been offered first dibs on the option of these 'new' domains because I have been using the domain name for the last 15 years or so.

Of course, the price wasn't explained to me.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Hey the late nineties called....

...they want the .bubble back!

4. Cliff

4.3x valuation

That's not at all bad, 3x is common sandwich-shop stuff, this is monopoly land-grab territory. And look at the nonsense like Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat valuations - this isn't a bad horse to back if you think some of their tld's are going to be popular.

As for the eventual value of .whatever, I guess we'll see if anyone really uses them, or if they're just vanity domains (I have my suspicions already)

1. VinceH

Re: 4.3x valuation

"As for the eventual value of .whatever, I guess we'll see if anyone really uses them, or if they're just vanity domains"

Not to mention protection racket domains - whereby well known brands (and even smaller companies) are compelled buy theirname/trademark.newTLD to protect them from misuse.

"(I have my suspicions already)"

Ditto.

5. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Dot Goole

Not a fan of the ".name/plce etc" domains but I'm not sure it will make any appreciable difference to the majority of Internet users. They'll just stuff the search term into Google and look on the first or second page.

1. Nuke
      Thumb Up

@Trigonoceps occipitalis - Re: Dot Goole

" [no] appreciable difference to the majority of Internet users. They'll just stuff the search term into Google

Agreed, that is what I do. The very fact that organisations will buy up their own domain name under all possible TLD's (maybe ibm.dot-vip, ibm.london, ibm.pet, ibm.rocking-horse-shit etc) shows that these extensions have no meaning already. Jeez, I own a ".me.uk" website and I don't have a clue what the ".me" stands for and I don't care either.

The only significant thing, possibly, is a national name in the TLD. If I am looking for a plumber I won't want one with a TLD of .nz because they would probably charge an extremely high call-out fee.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon