back to article FIRST standards to clean up messy CERTs

The global gathering of incident responders FIRST is spearheading a global standards effort to reform and unify the operations of government and large enterprise computer emergency response teams (CERTs). The Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST) has tipped US$500,000 into the effort and has received backing …

1. Tom 13

Security in IT these days is very nearly a house of mirrors.

At a fundamental level, they're practicing security through obscurity because they're afraid that releasing the data tells the bad guys too much. Only after a threat is well understood and they think they have a fix suitable for an AV-type company do they publicly release the data. This seems to apply even when stopping the threat is best done by patching the software.

On one level I understand it and sympathize. On the other hand, it sure seems to make life more difficult on the rest of us.

I'm glad I don't work IN the house of mirrors, and only need to transit it from time to time. I much prefer the clarity of "the magic smoke got out, can you fix it for me?"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon