back to article Apple releases MEGA security patch round for OS X, Server and iTunes

While the world+dog was distracted by all the shiny new iThings Tim Cook was showing off on Thursday, Apple quietly puMPED out patches for 150 CVE-issued bugs in its server and desktop operating systems and the iTunes media player. The newly released OS X Yosemite, version 10.10, includes a fairly hefty patch load, more so …

1. I_am_Chris

Lion EOL

Patches only for mountain lion and mavericks: looks like Lion is now end-of-life. Time to upgrade, I guess <sigh>

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They want three years, between upgrades?

I suspect Apple is working towards a three year hardware upgrade cycle, for its users. Knowing how long the hardware lasts, this is disapointing. I'm sure a lot of users must still be on Tiger, on none Intel systems. My 2008 MacBook still runs reasonably well, on Lion (for writing documents, it's fine - I prefer the keyboard to my MacBook Air).

1. Mike Bell

Re: They want three years, between upgrades?

Nope. Starting with Mavericks, which introduced Apple's variant of memory compression, older computers were supported.

The same is true today. If a computer can run Mavericks, it can run Yosemite, released a couple of days ago. It can run on Apple computers that were made in 2007.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: They want three years, between upgrades?

My mid-2010 MacBook originally shipped with Snow Leopard, but I've just upgraded to Yosemite with no problems.

3. tempemeaty

Nice to see more than one OSX version getting patched

It's nice to see Apple didn't release these only for the latest version of the OS. They have had a bad habit of abandoning previous versions and not fixing issues they were released with. This really is refreshing to see. More of this and I could be persuaded to stop keeping one foot in Linux land.

4. Jin

False Sense of Security

Apple is also expected do something about the vulnerability that their Touch ID brings: Biometrics operated with a password in the OR/disjunction way (as in the case of iPhone) offers a lower security than when only the password is used.

Biometrics can theoretically be operated together with passwords in two ways, (1) by AND/conjunction or (2) by OR/disjunction. I would appreciate to hear if someone knows of a biometric product operated by (1). The users of such products must have been notified that, when falsely rejected by the biometric sensor with the devices finally locked, they would have to see the device reset. It is the same with the biometrics operated without passwords altogether.

Biometric products like Apple's Touch ID are generally operated by (2) so that users can unlock the devices by passwords when falsely rejected by the biometric sensors. This means that the overall vulnerability of the product is the sum of the vulnerability of biometrics (x) and that of a password (y). The sum (x + y - xy) is necessarily larger than the vulnerability of a password (y), say, the devices with Touch ID and other biometric sensors are less secure than the devices protected only by a password.

It is very worrying to see so many ICT people being indifferent to the difference between AND/conjunction and OR/disjunction when talking about “using two factors together”.

1. JaimieV

Re: False Sense of Security

Those considerations need to be mediated by the fact that many people *are* now using security because of TouchID, rather than having no passcode at all. Your notes above apply only to the few people who are already using 2FA.

5. macjules
    FAIL

Installed and ... uninstalled.

Sorry, Mavericks may have been bad but f&&*ing Yosemite is like 100x worse. Apart from the > 5Gb bloat download nothing seems to work properly (MBR 15" 16Gb RAM 512Gb SSD on an upgrade rather than clean install.

Safari hangs/crashes

Photoshop CS6 requires separate Java install and cause GPU crash

PHPStorm 8 requires separate Java install and crashes referencing API from remote mount.

Have experienced Kernel Panics on Mail, Safari, and Maps - have not seen those since 10.2

Solution 1: Reinstall original OS, update to Mavericks and revert to previous backups. Problem solved.

Solution 2: Screw that I'm going back to Ubuntu.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like