back to article Brace yourself for a 12-inch Apple maxiPAD – probably... maybe... ish

Apple will summon its pet hacks to the Cupertino mothership this month for yet another orchestrated product unveiling. We're told the iGiant has sent out invites for a "special event" at the company's headquarters in California on October 16. It has not provided further details on the event, though the tagline "it's been way …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5 more commandments!

Where is the credible proof of even a rumor for a 12.9 pad? At that size it's no longer a tablet, but a flat PC (probably made of stone). Also, since it's 12.9 inches, where is the rumor for the $5 $500 desktop stand for it?

I give unto the, these 15...10 commandments.

2. Eddy Ito
    Trollface

Assuming it's true, that it's a 12.9" screen and a hybrid iOS X, does that mean that Apple are going after the Windows RT market?

The icon just seems to fit.

1. ThomH

It sounds more like they'd be pitching at the Asus Transformer type of thing. You know, from the completely unsubstantiated rumour.

1. Dave 126

Unlikely, because it is a 'tool for a niche job' kit, but:

There is evidently enough of a market for Wacom to make a 123" Windows 8 digitiser tablet, aimed at people who are likely to be OSX users:

http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/CintiqCompanion/en/

The only OSX equivalent at the moment is an even pricier 'bring your own MacBook' Modbook:

http://www.modbook.com/

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A tablet with OSX...

It's what Hitler wanted all along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_EcybyLJS8

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How funny would it be if Apple backtracked on phone size and tablets with keyboards in the same year?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad Air+ with extra enzymes?

Actually, my daughter decided she would like an iPad, she has apparently decided she has sufficient use cases for it to want to own one (along with her MacBook).

So, a home for my iPad Air, and a new toy for moi :D

4. Tromos

Just one question

Will it b(l)end?

5. wolfetone Silver badge

Will it bend?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Will it bend?

If its a maxipad, I'd hope so.

(Am I the only one?)

6. Captain DaFt

Prepare ye unbelievers!

"it's been way too long"

Obviously, it's tied in with this:

http://nypost.com/2014/09/28/why-andy-kaufman-might-still-be-alive/

What a coup for Apple!

(Seriously, if you're going to jump on every rumor, why balk at this one?)

7. Andrew 59

I think I'll wait for the PearPad

As modelled by the lovely Miranda.

8. 45RPM Silver badge

Wow. There's just too much going on in this one article (unlike, just guessing, the event itself which will likely be "here ya go - new iPads. Oh. And new OSX")

Firstly, boo hoo - is that sour grapes Reg? "Pet hacks", "Invitation lost in post"? Does El Reg really imagine that it can troll with impunity? The thing is, I'd bet (a bet partly based on hope, I admit) that Apple can take a critical review, and honest reporting of issues like bendgate. What it probably feels that it can manage without are the snide headlines and sometimes (not always) biased and deliberately bating articles. If Reg articles were unfailingly accurate and unbiased I'd bet your invitation would be in your grubby ink stained paws right now.

Secondly, let's just get this out of the way right now. Yes, it will bend. The tablet I'm keying this on right now is thicker than any iPad - and guess what? This will bend too. The thing is, I'm not stupid enough to bend it. So, unless you're 'a bit special' and your medication has run out, let's just take it as read that you can break whatever newness is coming out, and then don't. Evidence will not be necessary.

9. JaitcH
    WTF?

Another 'dark week' or two for Android in The Guardian

For the week prior to and the week of the Banana cell handset from Cupertino, The Guardian banished all mention of Android from it's on-line pages and filled the space with rumours and tosh - many later proved untrue - of what features the 'technical' editor considers the finest piece of electronics in the world might have.

Normal, less biased, publishing will follow on the week following 2014 October 16.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Another 'dark week' or two for Android in The Guardian

Perhaps all that 'tosh' about Apple sold more copies than stuff about Android?

What was the competing Android news anyway?

- Samsung panics and releases the note 4 early

- Samsung expects <big>% drop in profits

- ????

Was it worth the column space? Perhaps only in the Business section.

The Gaunidad usually avoids selling out to business unlike (for example) The Sun.

10. Roger Greenwood

16th October

Isn't that the date the new Nexus 6 is also due out? Here's hoping.

11. deshepherd

It's been way too long? Clearly apple are going to announce a new range of headphones ..... with shorter cables!

12. Frankee Llonnygog

12 inch pad - maybe

New unannounced hybrid OS for a product that will ship immediately (so no developers etc have had hands on the OS) - common sense says 'nah'

13. Gis Bun

Again....

Nothing but rumors.

Wold it be odd for Apple to have 2 major product releases in about a month or so and nothing again for 11 months?

Support at apple and the child labor in China must be booming to support and crank out these gadget.

Would make more sense to release the iPhone in the spring and iPad in the fall as the iPad is something people want to give for the holidays...

14. Darryl

Can you imagine how even more ridiculous people will look running around taking photos with a 12.9" iPad?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like