back to article Nokia Lumia 735: Ignore the selfie hype, it's a grown-up phone

Occasionally a phonemaker hits one out of the park, getting almost everything right, and bringing it together in one satisfying package. Motorola did that with the Moto G, and Microsoft's (formerly Nokia) phones division has done the same with its Lumia 730 and 735 models. Nokia Lumia 735 Windows Phone A glimpse of …

Page:

1. Gordon 10
    Thumb Up

roll on 2015

If WinPhone is now looking competitive, Blackberry are showing the first signs of relevance again, Samsung are stumbling and Apple out of ideas 2015 could be a year of real choice in the mobile market again.

1. the-it-slayer

Re: roll on 2015

In another multi-verse unknown to anyone in this universe maybe...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Holmes

Re: roll on 2015

The only constant in the mobile phone industry is change...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My wife has a Lumia 800 running 7.5 at the moment. I'm trying to convert her to Android based on the fact that I can plug it directly to a PC and extract the photos to a PC without having to use other software such as Zune or iTunes. Does anyone know if that is possible with these new generation of Windows phones?

1. Ross K Silver badge

You don't need Zune to get photos off WP7 any more than you need iTunes to get photos off an iPhone...

http://theunlockr.com/2010/11/29/how-to-enable-usb-storage-on-windows-phone-7/

2. PCS

Plug it into a computer and it appears as an external disk

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I know that on Windows phone 8 on I could on my Linux desktop machine,which no hassle, and my Windows laptop. In fact, I quite liked the use of the phone in general (a Lumia 620) but the deal breaker for me was the Music app was terrible on the phone, and the Mail client rather limited for my multiple Imap accounts. Apart from that, the build quality was excellent, I quite liked the tiled home screen.

HTHs

4. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

On Windows 7 and with a Nokia Lumia 635's yes although its not assigned a drive letter.

It does nag to install Windows phone software though :(

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
        Childcatcher

Erm ok why has someone down voted everyone by one giving advice, I am giving advise based on the hardware I have in front of me (As many people know I am have a Q10 anyway so a Windows Phone isn't my choice of handset).

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Plug it in and if you're on Windows it appears. You can browse the files or use the imaging software to sync.

If you're on a Mac you need a separate tool, but then Apple doesn't support MTP and you need a separate tool for Android phones too.

I went from WinPho to Android (HTC One and HTC One M8) back to WinPho. The HTC One was great but they killed it with the M8 by having 16GB internal memory. Changes to Android screwed up SD card handling meaning the apps I most wanted to use no longer worked.

Windows Phone 8.1 has made it a dream to use again. Quiet hours and driving mode (auto-responds to calls and SMS messages when you're driving) are two great additions. It feels like everything you need is built in or can be added to the OS with an app (but the features actually get added to the OS, not needing to go into a standalone tool).

6. big_D Silver badge

Windows Phone 8 did away with iTunes, you can just copy the photos off the phone, just like Android.

7. Mr_Penguin

'...extract the photos to a PC...'

Yes, it is possible. Windows Phones running version 8.X are seen as storage drives when plugged into a PC. You can copy from/paste to/sort various folders including music and pictures/video.

Having used the operating system since they first released WP7, this was one of the improvements I appreciated most (even though I liked the Zune software).

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Huh ?

when you connect the phone to the PC via USB you can hoover pictures off the DCIM folder.

Or share via Bluetooth ?

9. Anonymous Custard

I can do it on my HTC 8X running WP8.0 (no sign any updates sadly :( ). If I plug it into my Win7 laptop via USB it pops up under Windows Explorer, where I can access folders for documents, music, pictures, ringtones and videos. It's not as open access as Android is, although that may in part be down to how it's set up (it's my corporate workphone).

There is a Windows program that you can download and install for the PC, but it's utterly useless and doesn't give much additional functionality than going directly in via explorer, other than a bit of hand-holding.

1. MonkeyTennis

Windows Phone 8.1 is in Developer Preview for HTC 8X and so you can get it if you dev unlock your phone.

Of course you might not want to do that but it does mean the update will eventually make it to you .... hopefully :)

10. JDX Gold badge

I was pretty sure you don't need to install the equivalent of those things (now called Windows Phone app) if you just want to access it as a drive. It does install something on Windows, but automates the driver installation just like any printer or portable drive, so I don't think you need to be concerned assuming you run Windows. The clumsy software you used with WP7.x is not used for WP8.x.

I have a 1020 on WP8.1 (was 8.0) and I would recommend the ecosystem. I previously had a Lumia 610 - the cheapest end of the 7.x range compared to the most expensive end of the 8.1 range I have now, and was impressed. All the reviews say the bottom/mid-range WP8.x phones are even better.

11. Martin 47

I just plug my 625 into the PC and copy and paste from phone folder to PC folder no need for any fancy software, I assume its the same for any windows phone isn't it?

12. dogged

Yes. The WP8.x mounts as a filesystem drive. There are applications you can use too but everything's right there on the mounted drive.

13. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, you can plug in a USB cable and copy photos and videos straight off the file system just like you can with Android.

You can also set OneDrive to automatically upload them through wireless when you're connected and sync your computer with that... I used to do similar with Dropbox in Android. That way, all your new photos and videos get on to your PC without you thinking about it.

As a long time Android user, I didn't find any real problem doing anything I wanted to do on Windows Phone 8.1 with the latest update now that VPN is supported. It also has the Swipe type keyboard which I got so used to on Android and really could not do without now.

14. RyokuMas
      Thumb Up

Yes it is.

As of Windows Phone 8, Zune is no longer required - thank god!

15. tr7

Yes. No syncing software required on both Windows Phone 8.0 and 8.1. You can copy documents, pictures, downloads, music, ringtones, and videos to and from the phone using an USB cable or by taking the micro sd card from the phone and plugging it into a PC.

16. Thought About IT

Connecting to a PC

My Nokia 925 looks like another disk drive in Explorer, when it's plugged into my Windows 7 PC, so photos and music can be dragged and dropped in both directions.

17. Michael B.

Yup. You just connect with a cable and the phone apears as a new device. If your phone has internal and external storage it appears as two seperate folder and within that there are the standard folders:

Documents

Downloads

Music

Pictures

Videos

(Ringtones on the internal drive)

and any other folders that you create

On Windows you just drag and drop your files into the folder of your choice. I think there is a way to sync photos and music but I've never bothered dragging and dropping is the sync method of choice for me.

18. d3vy

The requirement to use Zune went with windows 7.5...

Music, Video, Pictures the whole lot.. no additional software required.

1. d3vy

You see this is why I love the Register.

One thumb down for stating a fact about a mobile operating system, not even a controversial statement.. an actual fact.

I wonder if the downvoter owns an iPhone and maybe doesn't like iTunes? :)

19. Babbit55

Or just have it sync right to onedrive, and download them from there. Win 8.1 is really good

20. David Gale

Yes, it is possible to view the phone's directory structure and download photographs to a laptop.

21. Jamie Kitson

BitSync FTW

BitSync is an amazing bit of software, especially when photos are spread over random folders, ahem, iOS, ahem.

22. LordSlaphead

yes

even easier - let it sync to the cloud and they appear on your PC - no manual intervention required. Harder if you don't like onedrive of course.

3. psychonaut

8gb? really?

i mean really?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 8gb? really?

"i mean really?"

Windows Phone can automatically sync all pictures, videos, etc to OneDrive so you really don't need anymore local storage unless you plan to install hundreds of apps or carry around your music collection instead of streaming it...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's the problem with Nokia/Microsoft, too many models and very average specs. Yes it's low end but how many low end models do you need?

520, 620, 630, 735?

3. JDX Gold badge

If you don't want to download video, or use your phone as an MP3 player, it's fine. I reckon that's actually a fair proportion of the market.

Of course 8Gb won't give you space for many apps either but again, loads of people want a smartphone for the purposes of text/phone, email and web-browsing. And I _think_ you could still fit on the entire UK maps for use with the GPS features.

Certainly not for everyone's uses, but didn't the article say it has removable storage as well as removable battery (can't be bothered to check now)?

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Yes, removable storage is supported (up to 128 Gbyte). The SD can be used for both media and app storage.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You'd be lucky to find that many apps to fill up that kind of space!!

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

Windowsphone 8.1 supports installing apps to the removable storage (though not all apps may offer the choice and certain functions seem to be part of the OS rather than a distinct app). I think also the only way to move an app between the two is to uninstall/reinstall which might be awkward if the settings aren't kept, but I haven't investigated. Certainly it's meant my phone (a 625 with 8Gb internal, and a 8Gb SD card) run without running out of internal storage and needing a reset. Better temporary file handling may also have played a part.

Maps for Nokia Drive is 530 Mb for the whole of the UK, but if you only wanted say Wales that is 110 Mb or so.

1. JDX Gold badge

Why on earth would you only want maps of Wales? The kind of person who never leaves Wales probably doesn't own a smartphone.

1. psychonaut

im getting to the stage where i need 128 gb sd and at least 64 gb internal for music.

im happy its got a 128gb slot though.

and no, i dont want to stream all my stuff...i want local storage, for local people tubbs.

4. d3vy

Yes, Really Because once you pop the back off you can put any card in there you want.. so upgrading to 128GB wont require a second mortgage.

5. iromko

There's slot for SD card. So one can insert as much additional storage as they like. At additional cost, yes. But that certainly better than having several SKU differing only in amount of storage and at ridiculous prices.

And then there's Lumia 925 at a price ~30$ lower with 16 GB and no SD card slot. Which makes buying decisions more complicated.

1. cambsukguy

The 925 has a very good camera indeed though so it is worth having at only 16GB if you don't need a large local store for your music.

After owning one for year or so, my friend has had to delete videos (the real killer) to free up space for more photos etc. The videos remain on OneDrive (until that fills up, 15GB I think is the free one now).

I have a 1020 which has 32GB, and hires pics gobble up insane amounts of storage so I sometimes delete the hires version of photos that are not going to need cropping etc. The hires version can stay on OneDrive or elsewhere just in case anyway.

4. cmannett85

More importantly: Where do you buy a silver leather sofa!?

5. Tommy Pock

Is the MTP file transfer fixed?

With the 800 and my 1020 both are seen by Linux, both allow transfer of data onto the device, but the data isn't seen by the phone. The only way to get data from my laptop to my Lumia(s) so they can see it is by using Feem, a WP type of Airdroid app. Slow and useless for very large files.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is the MTP file transfer fixed?

"With the 800 and my 1020 both are seen by Linux, both allow transfer of data onto the device, but the data isn't seen by the phone."

That's my experience of Linux too - bugs and issues all the time. Just install Windows 7 or 8 and be done with it. If you really need Linux for something then just launch it under Virtual Box.

1. Tommy Pock

Re: Is the MTP file transfer fixed?

I need Linux for everything. I'm not going to install an OS I need to constantly babysit just to put MP3s on my phone.

6. ZSn

lumia 925 is cheasper

It does look like a nice phone, particularly the camera however the lumia 925 which is arguably the better phone and camera (but no expansion) is cheaper. This may change in the future, however this is still the problem that the 720 had - a good phone in the wrong price bracket.

7. Roger B

Twitter notifications

Have you got it setup right? I have alerts come in when I get something from Twitter support, (only want to see them as they never answer my tweets about taking over a dormant account) Settings > Select your account and it should be there. At least it is on my 625 running 8.1.

Back on topic, it seems quite a nice phone, storage is useless, but at least it can be expanded, heres hoping wireless charging starts to become a standard feature, then if we can loose the 3.5mm headphone jack and move to bluetooth speakers, make the back cover user sealable so the battery/sim/SD card can still be swapped and we'll start having some portless waterproof phones. (Yes I know the Xperia models exist, but even they have port covers)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Twitter notifications

>(Yes I know the Xperia models exist, but even they have port covers)

The Sony headphone sockets are now waterproofed without the need for port covers.

The Xperias can be charged up without opening the microUSB port cover by means of two contact pins on the phone - a 3rd party magnetic cable is £8, and the official Sony dock is around £20.

2. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Twitter notifications

You need to turn on the alerts manually. And they won't show up in 'Notification Center', because Twitter doesn't work with it yet.

8. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

It was a model that I rarely saw in public

Is anyone actually able to tell the difference between them in the street? AFAICT there's the cheap design, the not cheap design, and the one with the camera transplanted from the 808.

That N9 really paid for itself, they haven't designed anything since then.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like