back to article Ice, ice maybe: Evidence of 'Grand Canyon' glacier FOUND ON MARS

Boffins have found evidence that suggests an ancient glacier was once at the bottom of a huge chasm known as the Grand Canyon of Mars. It has long been speculated that glacial action formed the massive Valles Marineris canyon, which stretches for about 4,000km (2,500 miles) along the surface of the Red Planet. But this theory …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"they spotted the sulphate mineral jarosite within the canyon"

How? By sheer spectrography, or someone actually went there? If they did it remotely, maybe they could find my compact camera I lost somewhere around the house...

1. stucs201
      Coat

Re: maybe they could find my compact camera I lost somewhere around the house...

Perhaps, but that might be difficult, so prepare yourself for the possibility it might stay lost - we don't want to put them Under Pressure.

(the one with the MP3 player full of Queen songs in the pocket)

2. i like crisps
    Mushroom

IDS.

There's already a 'Grand Canyon Glacier' on this planet......its currently scything its way through Iain Duncan Smiths Soul!

1. i like crisps

Re: IDS.

'3 Thumbs Down'.......oh, i see where i went wrong there......he doesn't have a soul does he? Thanks for that correction.

3. Mark 85

It's strange that they just recently found it and no else noticed it before. A new set of eyes maybe since they didn't say "how" they discovered it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, but at NASA these days it seems to all be about the ice:

"if there's any ice yo we'll find it."

1. WonkoTheSane
        Headmaster

"Yeah, but at NASA these days it seems to all be about the ice"

That's because water ice = Oxygen to breathe & Hydrogen to burn.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "they just recently found it and no else noticed it before"

They have just published their findings. That does not necessarily mean they have just noticed it. The fact that the article continues to state "It has long been speculated ..." might be a clue in that regard. Scientists have been looking for quite a while.

People need to stop considering Science reporting like sports or people reporting. In Science one does not notice something and immediately start broadcasting the fact. In Science, one notices something, checks it, rechecks it to be sure, talks to someone of confidence who checks it independently, THEN, when it has been determined that it is something worth reporting, one publishes the information expecting other people to check it as well.

When one is doing Science, that is.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: "they just recently found it and no else noticed it before"

"Naked selfies of SCIENCE found on an Internet! MILF Nature Uncovered!! Film at 11."

4. Sean Houlihane

Paywalled

'This item requires a subscription to Geology.'

Anyone care to share how they found it, or is this just another bit of secret 'academic only' research? Wikipedia suggests this was known back in 2004...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Schrödinger's glacier

"But this theory has proven controversial and unproven."

So its proven to be unproven? Is this one of those glaciers that both existed and didn't exist, until we get a really good look?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Schrödinger's glacier

Quick, we must send a cat to Mars.

1. stucs201

Too risky to send a cat; Curiosity will kill it.

1. Mike Moyle

...or maybe not.

1. Triggerfish

Well we'll never know until we look.

1. JJKing

Maybe we will and won't know at the same time.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Or maybe we won't.

Can we stop this now, please?

2. lorisarvendu

"Too risky to send a cat; Curiosity will kill it."

I have never seen someone win the internet. Until now.

6. Bunbury

claimed they had found a deposit of a "new type" of jarosite

The press release seems to imply it's the same type of jarosite as occurs on earth, but that it is a new type of deposit.

There's me writing that as if i were intimately familiar with jarosite and had so much of the stuff that I could make a sofa out of it. Whereas actually I've never heard of the stuff before. Still, I think I've carried that bluff off rather well.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: claimed they had found a deposit of a "new type" of jarosite

By definition, it must be the same as jarosite found on Earth, as a mineral is defined by both its chemical and physical structure. The archetypical example of this is calcium carbonate, which is a single chemical that exists as three different minerals (calcite, aragonite and vaterite), which differ in their crystal structure.

So either, it is the same as terrestrial jarosite, or if it is a 'new type' of jarosite, it isn't jarosite, it's some other sulphate mineral composed of potassium and iron. This raises the question of how it has been identified, as if it is chemically or physically different to jarosite, its infrared spectrum will also be different, and presumably unknown.

7. Stevie

Bah!

Is anyone involved in this excellent project from a place or organization I can figure out how to pronounce from the spelling?

Like "Cleethorpes" or "UEA"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like