back to article Bloke accused of making phone spyware StealthGenie is cuffed by feds

Allegedly building and selling spyware has landed a Pakistani man in trouble with the Feds: the g-men collared 31-year-old Hammad Akbar, of Lahore, on Monday for flogging StealthGenie, it's claimed. The US Department of Justice says Akbar was indicted in the Eastern District of Virginia for operating a company called InvoCode …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Selling to the wrong customers

My first thought was 'Good, serves them right'. But then it struck me that various agencies have used, and (probably) are still using, this sort of stuff - legitimately, it seems. Legality seems to be a matter of perspective sometimes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Selling to the wrong customers

The official line is that such an invasion of people's rights must be carefully controlled. However, given how enthusiastically the government hides its own use behind "National Security" I think both "carefully" and "controlled" are now mere illusions.

1. Eltonga
        Big Brother

Re: Selling to the wrong customers

I think both "carefully" and "controlled" are now mere illusions.

Actually, people's rights are a carefully controlled illusion.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ye shall not compete with Government..

While this guy languishes in jail, I bet the government techs are all over the code to pick up new ideas.

3. ramyhaus

Big deal, Flexispy does the same thing and is freely available.

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Marketing error

If he'd been selling it to foreign governments or marketed it as a corporate security application then he'd be in the clear - in fact the Better Business Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce would be giving him awards. His mistake was selling the application to "We, the People..."

5. Cipher
    Joke

Clearly the FBI is...

...violating the Sherman Anti-Trust Law by taking this entrepeneur out to help the NSA maintain its monopoly position.

Innovation is stifled when competition is stifled like this...

6. solo

Spouse not authorised

I scream: But we need a grandfather clause..oh .. a Big Brother clause at least.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Write Code, Go To Jail

The charges are frightening. Read the indictment.

1. When does an application qualify as a "device"?

2. Is the crime selling, marketing, or creating? It's not really clear.

3. On the surface, the charges would appear circumventable in much the same way that prohibited weapons sellers so: sell a legal version & provide guidance on how to render it prohibited (e.g. more capacious clips, automatic operation). There's the problem of use too. It's evidently OK if the app is used to monitor your infant, teen, or granny, but not others.

4. On a relative scale, the consequences seem disproportional compared to those responsible for our recent world wide recession or bankers concealing funds. Am aware of fines being levied, but not criminal indictments.

Will be interesting to see how the EFF, ACLU, or pro bono constitutional lawyers respond.

8. fpx
    Black Helicopters

How is this any different ...

from, say, a radar detector? Or a GPS tracker? Many such devices are legal to purchase but illegal to operate. Similarly, it should be legal to distribute and purchase this software but illegal to install it surreptitiously.

If a jealous spouse installs this software on her or his SO's phone, then the couple has other issues that they need to work out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like