back to article Samsung lays down PCIe server flash gauntlet

Faster, fatter flash cards that speed up server applications are in demand, and Samsung has announced it is mass-producing a 3.2TB NVMe PCIe SSD using its 3D V-NAND technology. It says higher capacities are coming. The SM1715 doubles the previous NVMe SSD XS1715's 1.6TB capacity maximum, and that product used standard 2D …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

It is all very well mentioning Capacity and speed

but what about the cost and availability?

If you are in the market for a device like this, you need all this data in order to make an informed decision.

If (for example) Samsung declines to release the price or availability (watching Samsung Chromebooks exiting stage left) then the maker is probably not serious about releasing them in that market.

1. justincormack

surely?

As far as I could find, the previous Samsung NVMe never shipped. I still haven't managed to buy an Intel one either, availability date still seems to get pushed out, all though I am inclined to believe they will ship one day.

2. string

marketing shot

... as in marketing should be shot!

What on earth is that photo supposed to show us? Apart from the fact that it's - rather suprisingly - only a pci-e 4x card ....

1. Graham 24

Re: marketing shot

A single PCIe v3 lane runs a whisker under 1GB/sec, so if the memory on the card supports a maximum of 3GB/sec transfer rate, presumably four lanes is enough.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fusion-io's write IOPS are peak numbers to an empty drive. Intel's and Samsung's are sustained. So Fusion's number is probably lower than the Samsung's 180,000 under any type of non-bursty writes.

Intel NVMe drives are in stock at a number of distributors and online stores, and the 3600, 3700 can be acquired easily as a result.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like