back to article Yahoo! Made! $8bn! In! One! Day! And! You'll! Easily! Guess! How!

Sprawling web souk Alibaba didn't see its stock-market debut go as planned on Friday. It went much better. The Chinese giant closed its first day on the US stock market with a share price of $93, up 38 per cent from its opening price of $68 per share. The offering netted the biz $21.8bn in investment, and marked the largest …

1. MondoMan
    Thumb Down

"Shares in Yahoo! are trading at $40.93, well less than half the price of Alibaba"

Which is meaningless without also mentioning the total number of shares of each...

1. Rampant Spaniel

Thank you! Far too often this is overlooked which is ridiculous.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Leave it to Yahoo...

...to sell 121 million shares at $25 less per share than the day's high price.

Even when they make out like bandits they screw it all the hell up.

1. goldcd

They sold off 6%

leaving them with 16% still in hand.

I'm reasonably sure, they're not too upset over this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Re: They sold off 6%

The objective is to buy low, maybe met, and fracking sell high. Were I the CFO, I'd be mighty upset unless I were the one to be so stupid. As a Yahoo! shareholder, I'd be looking for some scalps. (Not balls as Yahoo! ain't had any in years.) Hell, if I were a gambler, I'd do a reverse merger on the market behaviors.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Holmes

Re: They sold off 6%

@goldcd - "I'm reasonably sure, they're not too upset over this."

They left $3 billion on the table today, which is more than all their earnings last year. So whoever in their executive suite is not too upset should probably be looking for a new line of work. I can't imagine their investors are real cool with it.

2. Mark 85

Re: Leave it to Yahoo...

They may have had to sell it at the opening price. It would depend on what deals they have/had with Alibaba to get the stock in the first place. Given the way things have been lately, the stock could have nose-dived after the initial rush to buy. Still $8 B is nothing to sneeze at. I wonder if they'll sell off a few more shares come Monday if the price is still high?

3. Steve Todd

The funny thing is

that if you subtract the value of Alibarba shares and cash from Yahoo's market cap then you end up with a negative number. El reg seems to have missed this one.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...... and the forty thieves???

I am reminded of the story of "Alibaba & the forty thieves" & going on with a similar theme - how about the Alley Barber instigating "haircuts" all round to "speculators"? <Grin>.

Well, it might happen!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like