back to article Google to startup kids: Pssst, try our CLOUD ... the first $100K is FREE

Google is offering startups a cool $100,000 in credit if they're willing to power their apps using the Chocolate Factory's cloud services, rather than the competition's. The online advertising giant launched the new program, dubbed Google Cloud Platform for Startups, at its Google for Entrepreneurs Partner Summit in Mountain …

1. ratfox
    Devil

For some reason, I'm reminded of Nestlé offering free milk formula to new mothers… I mean, I know the situation is very different for many reasons, but still, there's a resemblance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's a tad unfair. Nestlé's product itself was actually clean and its intentional were genuinely honourable, but they forgot to tell people that using it with polluted water is not a good idea, and the region they sent it too was rather short on clean water. They didn't manage the subsequent disaster very well either, they reacted far too late.

In Google's case you cannot trust either company or product. Different concept.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

The problem with pushing powderd milk in sub-Saharan Africa is that there is a better alternative, breast feeding. I wasn't there but Nestlé stood accused of using underhand marketing to hook new mothers.

2. VinceH

"Starting today, startups can take advantage of this offer and begin using the same infrastructure platform we use at Google, and we can take advantage of their customers' data."

There. Fixed.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmmmm

Microsoft BizSpark is a MUCH better option for startups

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: hmmmm

That sounds like a fan-boy statement, with nothing to back it up. You probably haven't even signed up for it.

BizSpark isn't really that good, unless you want to continue on the Microsoft treadmill - and that's no longer the good thing to do.

We're on our third year with BizSpark - or "BS" for short ;-)

In reality, all they provide is free licences (perpetual, for whatever's released in the 3 years you're on it). We've since moved away from the MS stack - not due to upfront or predicted costs, or our personal preference/ability (we're actually .NET folks), however; it's just technically inadequate for our start-up.

Ignoring the politics (MS fans on forums), Google are actually very good to developers (it's as though their developers are actually developers - crazy, I know). There is always the risk that they'll turn into Microsoft, but by having an exit strategy we can jump ship just like we did from MS. YMMV.

The good thing for MS fans is that Google force MS to improve - something that's been long overdue.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like