back to article DUCKCROCZILLA 'alien' dinosaur could emerge from THE SEA

Paleontologists have published the first pictures of a gigantic half-crocodile, half-duck dinosaur that evolved to swim – and was bigger than the fearsome Tyrannosaurus Rex. Spinosaurus aegyptiacus Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water ... "Working on this animal was like studying an alien from outer …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Re: Huge beast

I, sub-leader Zorton of the Hydra Galaxy, deny that aliens from outer space exist. You must believe this to be true, no matter how well that would explain certain behaviors among your "celebrity" caste. Any further questions on this subject will be dealt with through attitude remodulation.

Communication terminated!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. WraithCadmus
      Megaphone

Re: It's

DINSDALE

3. Eddy Ito

As for the spines on its back that give the dinosaur its name, the team thinks they were more for show than anything else. The lack of blood vessels indicates that it wasn't used to regulate body temperature or store fat.

Perhaps it could have made a nice sail with the tail or limbs acting as rudders for a more leisurely drifting face down hunt allowing it to both reserve its energy and quietly get close for a swift strike once it came upon prey. I figure it had to use some sort of stealth as I don't see a lot of fish hanging around long with one of these things paddling up from a distance.

Oh, what's with all the dino stuff lately? Is September bone boffins' month to flood the press with announcements or is it just a co-inky dink?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well, September is the start of the school year . . .

Food for grant-funding discussions, maybe ?

4. Martin Budden Silver badge

"dinosaurs gave origins to birds"

Or to put it another way, birds are dinosaurs. Some of them are big and scary dinosaurs.

5. dan1980

Paddling, webbed, feet at the back and a croc snout at the front? Is it too much to hope that this might be enough to get Ray Comfort to stop stroking his banana?

6. veti Silver badge

So which half is the "duck", exactly?

The half with the razor-sharp teeth, or the huge ridge along the back? Most ducks I've seen don't have either feature.

Or are you thinking of the webbed feet? 'Cuz crocs have those too, y'know.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: So which half is the "duck", exactly?

Nostrils halfway up the skull1, green head, white collar and patches of blue on the wing forelimb?

1. From the uchicago.edu link, this article wrongly states they were at the back of the skull.

7. Tom 7

Not the first sailing club I've been to thats full of lizards.

But possibly the first sailing club!

8. John Phamlore

Sail back not exactly a new feature?

Didn't Dimetrodon in the Triassic have a large sail on its back? As it would appear this is a case of sail backs evolving in two separate species at two greatly disparate times, perhaps there is some common evolutionary function that is more than just show?

9. Bunbury

Backstroke?

"As for the spines on its back that give the dinosaur its name, the team thinks they were more for show than anything else. The lack of blood vessels indicates that it wasn't used to regulate body temperature or store fat."

Would make a handy keel if it were doing the backstroke

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Backstroke?

Actually that's a good observation. Given the keel is essentially the backbone of a ship it wouldn't be surprising to find that the spines were functionally a stiffening member to keep the spine rigid vertically while allowing easy lateral motion where a boat is rigid in both directions.

From the skeleton there doesn't appear to be much along the lines of a sternum so I imagine it would be quite weak and flexible without the spines/sail. The fact that the spines start at the shoulders and largely disappear just beyond the pelvis is perhaps an indication that this is one of evolutions tries at vertically stiffening a rather massive body while leaving the head and tail with considerable motion in either plane. I would think ligaments at the ends of the spines would be in tension when in the water to prevent bowing down like an 'n' and cartilage between the spines under compression for use on land. Of course this assumes the center of buoyancy/mass was centrally located but the rather limited leverage on the neck bones indicates the head and neck weren't terribly massive in comparison and the apparent leverage afforded the musculature of the tail is perhaps more equally divided horizontally and vertically to both bear the weight and laterally undulate for added propulsion. It may have disappeared because a more duck like sternum (keel bone) provided stiffness and a convenient attachment for rather substantial flight muscles proved more fit for purpose.

10. BlueGreen
  11. phoenixat44

You need to get your facts straight ... you inaccurately report that this new discovery is called a "CROCZILLA", or "Spinosaurus aegyptiacus". Obviously, the correct name is either "crocoduck" or "ducodile". If you don't get it right, how can we expect the SciFi folks to crank out a movie about it?

We're counting on you! Get it right!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's obviously a transitional form between crocodile-kind and duck-kind. Suck on that, Creationists! Which only leaves us to solve one question: Never mind half a wing, what good is only one wing?

12. MrT

So it's a quadruped...?

Oh dear...

I must stop getting my information from Hollywood...

13. MarkTheMorose

Is this news?

I thought Spinosaurus had a cameo appearance in one of the later Jurassic Park films.

Anyway, if Spielberg does get around to making a film of this, who's going to play Hammond now that dear Dickie passed away?

14. Mike Flugennock
    Alien

So, I guess you could say that...

...absurdly huge-ass dinosaurs are a "thing" now?

1. Eddy Ito
      Facepalm

Re: So, I guess you could say that...

Oh no, we've reached the age of phabletosaurus!

15. mattinnov

spines

If this creature was indeed aquatic, the spines likely were far less ornamental than functional. The spinal ridge would have acted like a reversed keel and would have allowed the animal to maintain leverage when larger prey attempted to escape its grasp (jaws) in the water. When alligators or crocodiles attach prey or are attacked themselves, they often roll their bodies fiercely in an attempt to either escape another predator, or quickly subdue their prey. A large flat paddle-like structure would have provided impressive leverage against such twisting and jerking escape methods.

- Graham M.

16. AceRimmer1980
    Linux

Duckzilla

vs Megapenguin.

Go for it, Asylum.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon