back to article Twitter: La la la, we haven't heard of NUDE JLaw, Upton SELFIES

Twitter's top policy bod has refused to dismiss claims that people who tweet the leaked private photos of naked female celebrities are having their accounts suspended on the social meeja site. The company's Nu Wexler told The Register: We do not comment on individual accounts, for privacy and security reasons. Our rules …

Page:

1. Anonymoist Cowyard

Can't be Apple.

both Steve Jobs and Tim Cook told everyone that Apple was brilliant and everything Google did was bad.

It must be Google at fault.

1. Anonymoist Cowyard
      FAIL

Re: Can't be Apple.

Apple iCloud - “toxic hellstew of vulnerabilities.”

Karma's a bitch huh Tim....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good to see apple being open and upfront about this (like Jennifer lawrence) and not sweeping it under the rug....

(not).

Bizzare that nobody is calling apple out on this, but went to town on sony who were open and honest ( naively too honest)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hollywood celebs - not much rug on display

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pics or it didn't happen!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They are easy to find & very convincing.

Personally I think people make too big a deal of nudity & sex in general - it's not like it is an exclusive club.

It's crazy.

1. David Webb

it's not like it is an exclusive club

Tell that to my wife.... please!! :(

1. janimal
          Coat

@David Webb

Remind her that she is beautiful and that you love her. It's not hard. Or is that the problem?

1. Amorous Cowherder
            Happy

Re: @David Webb

@janimal - I do often and the love of my life starts wondering which latest techno-toy I've just wasted large sums of the shared back account on! Ha ha!

1. alwarming
              Devil

Re: @David Webb

> @janimal - I do often and the love of my life starts wondering which latest

Caution: I used to do that too. And then my wife found out.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Personally I think people make too big a deal of nudity & sex in general - it's not like it is an exclusive club."

Sex is like oxygen - you don't really give it a second thought until you're not getting any

2. Katie Saucey
      Alert

5 seconds with google....

Pics or it didn't happen!

http://imgur.com/a/KWOV2#0 (NSFW)

1. Heathroi

Re: 5 seconds with google....

compared to what you can get they are quite tame

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
          WTF?

Presumably she either took the pics herself or knew the person taking them - as otherwise they'd be long-lens shots and already published in well-known magazines.

So why take the photos in the first place?

1. janimal
            Boffin

@Richard 12

er..why not? What is wrong with pictures of naked humans?

It might be worth asking yourself why any culture finds our default state or primary purpose of existence to be in any way scandalous?

The hacking element is obviously criminal, and for most of us, just validates our scepticism of "the cloud" as a cure-all to data management.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Presumably she either took the pics herself or knew the person taking them"

From what I've read, it is a lot less of these girls accounts getting compromised and a lot more of their BFs or ex BFs getting compromised. Especially the Upton ones.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

This is why Apple IDs shouldn't be used

But we all knew that already, right?

1. Cliff

What's a jlaw?

Seriously, I've no bloomin idea what you're talking about!

This must be what it's like for my wife trying to read El Reg.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What's a jlaw?

Jennifer Lawrence. The actress who was in the Hunger Games.

1. Cliff

Have to say that makes more sense than actor Jude Law which was all I could come up with flicking through the crappy mags, or 17th century economist John Law.

I suppose by that contraction we should call anonymous cowards 'acow' or 'anco' or something. MiSo Windows. TReg. I can see the fun in it, and thanks for the clue. The term was used as if I ought to know, and now I know!

1. jjk

"Have to say that makes more sense than actor Jude Law which was all I could come up with flicking through the crappy mags, or 17th century economist John Law."

Well, possibly John *Phillip* Law.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Have to say that makes more sense than actor Jude Law which was all I could come up with flicking through the crappy mags, or 17th century economist John Law."

I heard there was this thing called Google on the interwebs. If you type in JLaw, only one person comes up as a result.

2. Old Tom
          WTF?

What are the Hunger Games?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Sounds like some game where you win if you stop eating for long enough. Seems like a good fit for some celebrities, judging by their shape.

1. earl grey
              Trollface

I keep reading that as "what's a jackdaw?"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is why Apple IDs shouldn't be used

How's an Apple ID different from any other password? If you sync your nude pics to Google Drive the same can happen if someone gets hold of your password.

Celebrities are generally not known for their expertise in computer security, and don't realize the risks in using the same password for everything. This will make them realize it, but it'll be forgotten by many by the time this happens again a year or two from now.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"..Celebrities are generally not known for their expertise in computer security.."

And those guys / girls / neighbours / John Kerry / grannies...no one is expert here.. sorry for 'them'.

It's not all about hacking or why Apple (or the source) couldn't ensured safety. It's about the INVALID EXPECTATIONS AND TRUST in CLOUD. They can rain anywhere.

2. Cliff

>>If you sync your nude pics to Google Drive the same can happen if someone gets hold of your password<<

Not with 2FA which Google have supported for years. Everyone, enable 2FA today.

4. Doctor_Wibble
    Windows

Polaroids FTW

The lesson is that if you are making your own smutty postcards, use a Polaroid. That way you are only vulnerable to the physical theft and/or a colour photocopier until such time as you burn them. Having these things anywhere other than in your possession is a risk. And then burn them anyway or keep them to sell when your career is over and you are desperate for the money.

The secondary lesson is that the (frequently unannounced) shared/clouded-by-default setup of many phones is a really bad idea. As is sending said filth to anyone, regardless of how trustworthy you think they are. Maybe there is a market for camera-blinding skin patches or tattoos. I was going to say 'ban everything with a camera in it' whilst in the nudd but nowadays that's almost the same as 'ban everything'. Edit: with a 'yes I know this is a bad idea' override button.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Polaroids FTW

And if you do take polaroids, please don't leave them on the floor of your room where an innocent housemate might run across them whilst borrowing a cable.

Mentally scarred for years, I was.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dunno about polaroids; but it would certainly be a reasonable precaution to move photos you don't want to escape off internet-facing gear and onto a non-connected USB drive if you have any sort of public status.

Ricky Gervais caught a lot of flak for tweeting "well don't have nudes on your phone" then, or some such; but I agree with him to the extent that accepting some megacorporation's bland assurances of "yeah it's secure" is a mistake.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
          WTF?

Ricky Gervais caught a lot of flak for tweeting "well don't have nudes on your phone" then

Why? What sort of narcissistic twit keeps nude pictures of themself anywhere? What do they do with them, show them to their mates in the pub "hey, look at this one, you can hardly see my breast enlargement scar".

1. 142

"keeps nude pictures of themself anywhere"

You're assuming they deliberately kept the pics. They could have taken them for a laugh one evening with their partner, and then deleted them immediately, but they auto-synced to iCloud before they were deleted.

If they're not tech savvy, they may not have realised the significance of their iCloud/photo stream setup. I've seen very tech-savvy people make mistakes with similar things like dropbox.

Edit: Also. Cloud storage providers will often recover deleted files for you if you ask them. Even if they're gone from the trash folder in your cloud drive. I know Box do, and it's an infuriating risk when I'm trying to keep data secure on their service.

1. Dom 1
              FAIL

RE:142

Eh?

You accuse others of not being "Tech Savvy", then actually admit to using Dropbox?

2. Diogenes

Ricky Gervais caught a lot of flak for tweeting "well don't have nudes on your phone" then

Funny all the year 10 girls in my multimdia class said the same thing

3. tony2heads

@Phil O'Sophical

To be a 'Celebrity' you have to be a sort of narcissistic twit. It goes with the territory.

Occasionally (very rarely) these celebrities can act or perhaps sing.

2. janimal

I think we should separate the content of the pictures from the hacking.

We all have genitalia, and anyone who expected celebrity versions to be gold plated or replaced by a set of vestigial limbs is going to be disappointed. It turns out that Kate Upton's frippy is pretty similar to an ex-girlfriend of mine - ooh what a surprise!

The nature of the pictures is not what is important in this story.

Most readers of this site are experienced in (& cynical enough) of technology to not trust our most embarrassing peccadilloes to a random 3rd party repository.

Sadly rather than uplifting the general population's understanding of computing, we have dumbed down computers & devices. 20thC sci-fi novel vs. economic reality. :(

The problem with this story is that the media is going to shoot their load over the content of the pictures and everyone will ooh and aah along with the Daily Fail, before going home to ooh & aah just as scandalously with their chosen.

No doubt some idiot will suggest they shouldn't take nude pictures of themselves. Why the hell shouldn't they?

My question would be why shouldn't people be able to take pictures of themselves naked? I think that is the default state for a human and nothing anyone should be shocked, offended or ashamed of.

1. Amorous Cowherder

"No doubt some idiot will suggest they shouldn't take nude pictures of themselves. Why the hell shouldn't they?"

That's not the issue as such. The point is, don't take nude pictures of yourself IF you don't ever want anyone to see them. No problem with the pics but I, and I suspect most sensible people, have a problem with the stupid attitudes when these pics end up leaked.

3. earl grey
      Flame

"sending said filth"

Seriously? Nudity equates with filth now? What bizarro world do you inhabit?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Nudity equates with filth now? What bizarro world do you inhabit?

Can't remember who said it:

Q: You are one of those men who think sex is dirty.

A: Well yes - if you're lucky and you're doing it right !

5. Anonymous C0ward

Rapidshare/Mediafire links

Pleeeeeease?

6. i like crisps
    Trollface

i can't be bothered checking, but...

...i think one of the 'Actresses' is the one who played the blue shapeshifter in 'xmen first class'....she was fairly nudish in that so why the hubbub? As far as Mr J Law is concerned, if the rumors are true then the only way we're going to see his 'GENITALIA', is if we can Re-Task the Hubble Space telescope and point it directly at the photo...the Hubble is good, but i don't know if its that good?

1. i like crisps
      FAIL

Re: i can't be bothered checking, but...

Its not about Mr J Law is it?.....whoops.

7. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Coat

JLaw - Rule 34

Not until the Photoshop mash-up anyway.

8. Anonymous Coward 101

I expect this incident has everything to do with a) not knowing that iCloud backs everything up on one's phones, and b) a poor password.

9. returnmyjedi

My work pc is called "Gruntilda" (after the baddie in the Banjo Kazooie games) so I'm not convinced every Tristan should be hunted down.

10. Mikel

The end of the cloud

At least it went out with a bang.

11. H.Winter

Username

Having gotten tired of blurring my username out of screenshots I've taken to just calling naming myself User during installation. Or Cockwrangler. Whatever tickles my fancy at the time.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Username

If your userid is: Cockwrangler and your password is "Whatever tickles my fancy"

You probably have some explaining to do when your account is hacked and the details published

12. southen bastard

you are beautyfull

You are beautyfull and i for one are looking forward to seeing more of you!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like