back to article LG pokes G3 Stylus at Samsung's Galaxy Note

The mobile phone company once known as "Lucky Goldstar" has taken a trip back into the past and will launch a phablet with a stylus at German phonefest IFA. The G3 Stylus may have the same name as the wonderful G3 phone, but despite having a similarly sized screen at 5.5 inches, it’s a significantly lower specification. Notably …

Silver badge

Depends on detail

Price with no contract.

Battery life when typing or annotating.

Er.. Price and Battery life.

200 dpi is in the realms of "good enough" unless I put on really strong reading glasses. Obviously at same size of font the 533dpi or what ever will look like 600 dpi laser print to an extent, but if anti-aliasing is used then 200dpi is better than 400dpi laser and near 600dpi as it can't do intermediate shades.

534ppi

is there any real point to this, other than checking a marketing box?

Jah

Re: 534ppi

Looks better than the HTC M8, so yes there is a benefit to the 534ppi. But like most things technology, you may not really need it.

Bronze badge

More detail required

Is this a Wacom based digitiser stylus or some blobby capacitive junk. Looking at the picture it appears to be the latter and therefore almost useless.

Bronze badge

Happy Sammy Owner

I've got a Sammy Note 8 tablet with the Wacom system (Yes a normal full size wacom pen does work).

I also have a screen protector on the tablet. The really important thing to get right for any stylus is the 'Glide Factor' i.e. How similar the stylus feels to a standard pen on paper.

The Sammy stylus is a tad small and skinny for serious writing, (a bit like an Argos ball point) and tends to drag. The Wacom pen is a little too slippy on the surface. Maybe stylus makers could ship different 'nibs' with different properties like the different sized Ear-Buds on earphones. But both devices are perfectly usuable and the handwriting recognition is very good.

Anonymous Coward

Hmm

I was torn between a Galaxy Note 4 or a Blackberry passport, but I may have to wait for more details of this...

Isn't this a rejigged LG G Pro Lite?

Aren't these the same specs as the LG G Pro Lite, which has been around for more than 18 months? In fact it sounds slightly worse than the G Pro Lite inasmuch as a chunk of the on-screen real estate is eaten up with the virtual buttons. That, and the addition of the stylus, are the only differentiating factors between the two models that I can see.

Surely it would've made much more sense to add stylus functionality to the LG Vista, which - on the basis of its specs, at least - seems to be pitched as a G Pro 2 Lite. It would also maintain a more natural separation between the 'flagship' G3 line and the 'phablet' G Pro line, instead of muddying the waters between the two.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums