back to article Huawei: 'Tizen has no chance', Windows Phone is 'difficult'... it's Android all the way

Richard Yu, the head of Huawei's consumer business group, has said that he sees an Android future for the company. The Chinese company has huge global ambitions to capitalise on its standing as a major infrastructure supplier and to become a consumer brand and is particularly looking to The Middle East and Africa. It’s a …

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Twice as keen on Africa compared to The Middle East?

"particularly looking to Africa, The Middle East and Africa."

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Twice as keen on Africa compared to The Middle East?

Well, the Middle East is a gaping wound that is only widening and Europe is crapping over itself pretending to be money-rich, energy-rich and oh so progressive but there are still a few chances left for Africa. So that double keenness is understandable.

2. Anomalous Cowshed

Re: Twice as keen on Africa compared to The Middle East?

Bastard cousin Blowhard! You beat me to it!!!

3. Bob Vistakin
      Happy

Not long now until "smartphone" means Android

Let the also rans scrap about for the remaining 15% - it will soon be just irrelevant floor noise. The best of the rest - iOS - just dropped 1.5% to 11.7%, whilst Android gained 5% to hit 84.7%

2. hammarbtyp

No China world domination then?

Wot no COS?

3. John G Imrie

The company lost money on Windows Phone for the two years it spent trying to tout the Redmond OS, but found there was no consumer demand.

What after all those wonderful adverts I see saying how indispensable a Windows phone is to the small business man :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The few Windows Phones that have been sold aren't Huawei, probably, because they didn't advertise them and they were only available in the bargain section of unrefurbished Asda stores.

It's like Mad Mike's Mobile Manufacturing Emporium saying that nobody is buying its Android phones when nobody knew that Mad Mike's Mobile Manufacturing Emporium made Android mobile phones.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The company lost money on Windows Phone for the two years it spent trying to tout the Redmond OS, but found there was no consumer demand.

What after all those wonderful adverts I see saying how indispensable a Windows phone is to the small business man :-)"

There is plenty of business demand (Windows Phone already has over 20% share of that market in the UK). What Huawei are saying is that their handsets are nowhere near as good as the Nokia ones so no one wanted them.

4. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Coat

Re "...can lead to internal friction"

internal friction aka corporate masturbation.

5. DrXym

Let me guess why networks want Tizen

Probably Samsung have promised them a cut of the profits.

1. bigtimehustler

Re: Let me guess why networks want Tizen

Really? When Samsung themselves are not even pushing it on their own phones?

2. Simon Rockman

Re: Let me guess why networks want Tizen

No, it's because they think that Google and Apple are stealing apps revenue from them. This ignores the networks (other than NTT DoCoMo) having had a five year run at apps and having screwed it up.

6. Rich 30

The number of people Huawei having working in R&D.

just a fun factoid.

1. Hein Behrens

Re: 64,000

Remember it is like the pharmaceutical industry, marketing etc. is counted in R&D.

2. Paul J Turner

So, not true then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factoid

"...The word is defined by the Compact Oxford English Dictionary as "an item of unreliable information that is repeated so often that it becomes accepted as fact"..."

(It is not a bit of trivia)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The number of people Huawei having working in R&D."

Then why havn't they changed their comany name from a noise that sounds like someone throwing up?

1. Andrew Somerville

Only if you mispronounce it (like 99% of English speakers). The correct pronunciation is Wah-way

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGAqvpYLiGw

7. Al Jones

Misleading subhead

I know it's something of a tradition for The Register, but if you're going to use quote marks, you should probably stick with the general meaning of what the guy actually said - it's a bit of a stretch to get "Windows Phone is 'difficult'" from "Even for Windows Phone it's difficult to be successful."

8. Mikel

Majority

It is hard to argue with putting 85% of your effort into 85% of the market.

1. Hargrove

Re: Majority

If this Wikipedia article is at all accurate, this strategy has done well by Huawei so far. Not many companies founded in 1987 have had such spectacular success. (Working on tasteful understatement this week.)

9. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

This is terrible news!

I really, really want to see a Windows phone in the wild now. It's not funny anymore. Now, its sounds like the mugs microsoft conned into making them are waking up and telling them were to go. Wait! Don't stop till I see one, please ... !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is terrible news!

"I really, really want to see a Windows phone in the wild now"

Just take a walk round London, or get on a train / tube. There are loads of them about now.

2. Terry Barnes

There are seven in our house right now. My work phone and personal phone. My wife's personal phone and work phone. My father-in-law and mother-in-law both have one, as does my son's carer.

Maybe I fit an odd demographic, but I don't know anyone who has bought a smartphone in the last six months who hasn't bought a windows phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Maybe I fit an odd demographic,

Or maybe you are just a microsoft fanboi ?

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2014/03/04/microsoft_steve_ballmer_oxford/#c_2125150

(Though I agree that being a M$ fanboi does make you an odd demographic).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"2,000 developers working on UI"

Really? On UI design? Jesus wept...

I wish they has 2000 working on bug-fixes instead :(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like