back to article VMware vaporises vCHS hybrid cloud service

A little secret: The Reg's stalwart team of sub-editors are no fans of VMware – because its practice of using two capitals for VMware but one capital for products like vSphere is the kind of thing that does their pedantic heads in. We're therefore not entirely sure how they'll react to news that VMware has changed the name of …

1. psychonaut
    Coat

vmWareAirHairLair!

ahh, that old chestnut

hence icon

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

vHot Air

(Shame you have to fill in a body comment - the subject is all I wanted to say)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lolz

If only we can come up with the correct marketing we might stand a chance against the real clouds over at Amazon and Microsoft! Now think lads, what else can we put a v in front of and how should we capitalise it.

meanwhile in the empty developers pod...

<silence>

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VMaddening

I contacted VMware by email at the begining of the month asking when (or which version of) Workstation would be supporting RHEL7/CentOS7 as a HOST OS.

1st reply: We're Customer Services do not have the expertise to answer technical questions. Please telephone Sales in the US.

Me: Are you seriously saying you can't answer that simple question, and do you really expect someone in the UK to dial an overseas salesperson? Why can't you supply an email address?

2nd reply: I'm glad I could be of help

Me: As the boss of 1st reply person perhaps you could let me know when VMware intend to release a version of Workstation that supports RHEL7 as the HOST OS. PS - please don't ask me to phone the US.

3rd reply: Thank you for reaching out to me. Please call 1-xxxxxxxx

Me: Would that number be in the US by any chance? Haven't you read any of my messages?

4th reply: Thank you for contacting us. I am boss of 3rd reply person and have personally looked into the matter. Support for RHEL7 has been introduced for Workstation 10.

Me: NO. That's for RHEL7 as a GUEST. I want to know about HOST OSes. Wasn't my message clear enough?

5th reply: I shall check with my team and get right back to you.

[... tick ... tock ... tick ... tock ...]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: VMaddening

Sounds like you've hit a brick wall. I get that you may want to move from CentOS 6.x to 7 (released last month). As a community OS perhaps the CentOS forums will have an answer - that would be my suggestion.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: VMaddening

Thanks other AC, but currently the source code won't build on RHEL7 and the hacks for Fedora 20 aren't relevant...

:(

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Doing it wrong perhaps

If you're using RHEL7 as your host OS, why not install KVM and be done with it?

5. Phil_Evans
    Happy

Any comments on the Semantics of tumble-weed?

Sirs?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like