back to article I don't see dead people: Twitter to nix some images of deceased folk

Twitter users whose loved ones have recently died can now submit requests for the removal of distressing photos and videos of the deceased to the micro-blogging company. It comes after the late actor Robin Williams' daughter Zelda said she was ditching social media following a stream of abuse that she received about her father …

1. DNTP

Hey internet, thanks for proving yet again that an intangible and physically inexhaustible resource like platforms for free expression is still vulnerable to the tragedy of the commons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I want Ghost Tweets!

Long after I'm dead, I want to still annoy people.

2. Simon Rockman

I wish LinkedIn would do this

It keeps asking me if I know Guy Kewney.

Simon

1. Ted Treen
      Pint

Re: I wish LinkedIn would do this

Simon,

Is that you? Please get in touch.

Guy

2. Vic

Re: I wish LinkedIn would do this

It keeps asking me if I know Guy Kewney.

Lucky you.

It keeps asking me if I know Darl McBride...

Vic.

3. Tom 13

The only reason I can for not allowing Zelda Williams

immediate access to the real names of the people sending her those images and permitting her to file harassment suits against them which should result in felony convictions is that we don't have enough room in our jail to keep the scum.

Politically I'm on the polar opposite side of the spectrum from Robin Williams. But I enjoyed some of his comedy and can sympathize with the man's depression. I know nothing about Zelda beyond what was posted in this article. But I see no justifiable cause for her to be tormented in this way. Frankly simply pulling the images does her no justice, it just sweeps the offense under the carpet.

4. Arachnoid

Immediate access to the real names of the people sending her those images

Hmm can of worms in that statement,whilst I despise those who have done such I don't think allowing the freedom of any vendor to give user details to anybody is a good idea besides which I recon most of them will have fake details anyway.

1. Tom 13

Re: Immediate access to the real names of the people sending her those images

Sorry, I was assuming appropriate warrants from the police, not just the company handing them over to anybody. And the posting of the images should be sufficient cause for the warrants.

Yes, real ids would also be an issue. But the biggest issue is still that we wouldn't have enough space for the scum.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like