back to article Intel's Haswell-E brain to emerge from the lab at end of August – reports

Intel has reportedly fixed a date to ship its octo-core Haswell-E processors and X99 Express chipset, with a Japanese outlet saying they will hit the shelves on August 29. Japan's Hermitage Akihabara says the high-end desktop silicon and associated motherboards have been brought forward a little from the expected September ship …

Silver badge
Thumb Up

SATA 3.2 ????

If this is so as El Reg implies, I think they've just sold one. We need this bump to take the ceiling off the current SSD market. I'm not sure you can ever have a fast enough hard drive!

Silver badge

Re: SATA 3.2 ????

I've got an SSD in my desktop and the thing goes so fast it's a wonder that it doesn't end up travelling backwards through time.

Silver badge

I've got two and I still want more speed. I work with databases - I'll take everything I can get and more if I could.

Silver badge

Not unless your database is doing a lot of sequential I/Os, because you aren't likely hitting 600 MB/sec in random I/Os from only two SSDs.

Silver badge

Fair point. It's faster random access time I could really do with. I was just trying to justify my love of new technology. That said, I still think it's a shame that SSDs are being held back by having hit a ceiling on the current SATA. This is still a selling point to me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums