back to article Nexenta reckons it has Edge in squeezing your object storage BLOB

Nexenta says its latest NexentaEdge software product delivers petabyte-scale block and object storage with inline deduplication. NexentaStor, the existing product, is a ZFS-based software SAN product which Nexenta partners and customers can install on commodity storage array hardware – a mainstream SAN/filer replacement …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Costs look awesome.. On paper.

Give me the real cost and include an example server spec with cost of the commodity hardware, server, drives, NICs etc. Then factor in the cost of the staff for managing it.

Undoubtedly it will still come in cheaper, but I suspect it won't be quite as jaw dropping.

Doing this can deliver amazing result, but just be sure you know what you are doing, its not always as simple as buying a server and installing the software. I did this and severely underestimated the additional managements requirements, then when one of the boxes started crashing and talking business critical systems with it. With no vendor support we were left to diagnose the problem ourselves, after several very painful days we finally found the cause, but by that time all faith in the system had been lost.

2. Nate Amsden

also competing

I'm sure there is more but DDN comes to mind(absolutely massive object scale with 1 trillion objects/cluster), as does Red Hat storage server(which is software only). I think NetApp has object storage too though last I saw it was quite limited in scale (relative to say DDN anyway).

I think the potential market for this stuff is pretty small, much of the object storage systems I suspect will be in the service providers and well there's only so many of those.

Most small orgs don't need object storage, NAS is more than sufficient (say up to and including a few PB).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like