back to article New Sprint CEO says he will lower axe on staff – but prices come first

The new CEO of US mobile operator Sprint says he's planning aggressive moves to regain market share starting next week, but the big changes he has in mind will make job cuts unavoidable. According to a report by telecoms industry news site Light Reading, Marcelo Claure, Sprint's newly minted chief exec, told employees at a …

1. James O'Shea

Sprint is doomed

They combine Verizon-level arrogance with truly breath-taking incompetence into one slimy package. Their network stinks, it's the slowest of the Big Four (and not by a small margin, either), their customer service makes Comcast look good, and they actively hide their street address. For some reason corporate doesn't want the customers to be able to send them messages in writing. Finding it was... interesting... and once a letter is sent, don't expect a reply. i sent off a little note on the 29th December 2013. No reply as yet... I suspect that no-one even read it.

I'm holding until the iPhone 6 shows. Then I'll be off to TM, and get a nice shiny, cheap, iPhone 5c. And have TM pay my early termination fee. And buy my old phone off me. And Sprint can kiss my behind.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Sprint used to be good - until they bought (and discarded) Nextel who - at the time of purchase - had a dedicated user/fan base in the US. These days Sprint seem to have decent signal levels throughout the US - especially outside the cities - but relatively slower speeds than AT&T/Verizon.

Customer service is non-existent with all of the carriers - they rely on the fact that their phones are generally incompatible with each others networks to keep customers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sprint needs to get rid of the "Framily" commercials; they are totally missing the mark. You have a ditzy mother, a father that is hamster, a son and a weird goth friend named Gor-Don.

Rather than cutting employees, maybe they should do the following:

1) Cut the stupid advertising

2) Time to get out of sponsoring NASCAR

4. Gil Grissum

Good luck, Claure. Unless you do something radical that improves network performance and customer service, I may have to look at T-Mobile when my contract is up in October of 2015. At this point, my contract is the only thing keeping me on Sprint. When that's up, it may just be over for me and Sprint.

5. Nate Amsden

anyone know

how well (or not) Sprint's $20 billion iPhone commitment from 2011 has worked out? Seems like quite a big bet.. I left Sprint after 10 years about a year after they announced that, after they got rid of their customer appreciation program too.

6. Timo

wow maybe a CEO that isn't lost

What a change to get a CEO that understands where Sprint sits in the US wireless industry pecking order (at the bottom and falling farther behind.)

A breath of fresh air to get someone there that lists investing in the network as one of the top priorities. In the past it seems that they thought they could fix their crap network by pouring money into marketing and advertising.

7. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Pint

Phew

I'm sooooooo glad they didn't buy T-Mobile and try to drag them down to their level.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem that Sprint has, they're Sprint. A lot of people had Sprint in the past, there is a reason why they left. You then have people that have never had service from Sprint and never will.

9. Oninoshiko

so, he recognises

that having a shit network is bad in the cell business?

'bout time someone at sprint recognize that.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had one of the best contracts you could get with sprint. Truly unlimited Data Text and Calling family plan. It was great! I thought I had a great deal and enjoyed sprint. But there customer services and tech support from India SUCKS BIG BALLS. They had to pick the worst calling center they could.

Long story short OMG T-Mobile is so Fing GREAT! Before we left sprint we upgraded our phones to Galaxy S6 Edges 3 of them. That same day we walked into T-Mobile gave them the galaxy's from sprint, they paid the $650 per line. $0 money down we got unlimited everything 3 galaxy s6 edges, a $200 ac1900 wifi router, and cases and screes protectors also for free. We are paying $10 less compared to sprint.

O ya and every time i have called tech support or their customer services it a US based person NOT INDIA!!!! WOOT

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like