back to article 'Aaaah FFS, 'amazeballs' has made it into the Oxford English Dictionary

This was the week when so-called “sharing economy” car firms – more accurately “slightly different ways to turn a profit” car firms – Uber and Lyft got into a bit of a barney. Lyft told CNN that Uber staff were pranking the company out of profits by ordering rides and then cancelling them, as well as ordering Lyft services for a …

1. a well wisher

Eh ?

Head line item more of a boot note in the article ?

shome mishtake shirly !

1. tony72

Re: Eh ?

I know, cray cray, right?

2. Ian 56

"... a reminder that even widely respected businessmen can knowingly commit unlawful acts in the zealous pursuit of profits"

World. Turned. Upside. Down.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perez Hilton

was first to use this word. I bet he is happy right now.

4. MJI Silver badge

Cray

Well that one is easy - the super computers from Seymour.

1. d3rrial

Re: Cray

Yeah I was wondering as well, why would the name of a company be added to a Dictionary? Is Zuse also in the OED?

5. MJI Silver badge

WTF is Amazebollocks?

Sounds very sarcastic to me and I have not heard a single person use it, but if I did I would punch them!

6. Ho Ho Hipster

Totes bowlocks

cf. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/rowlock

7. Wilseus

I want to see "fondleslab" in there!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Depressing. Rather than correct people who are speaking like fucking idiots, we lower out standards. They're not even in particularly common use, I've never heard 'amazeballs' outside of IRC. Once.

9. Graham Dawson Silver badge

All right, you know what? I'm getting tired of this. Dictionaries record the language as it is spoken. They are not a set of rules. If a word gains traction and becomes part of the language, it will be put in the dictionary.

How many of the words you all use every day were once considered vulgar, silly or impertinent? 150 years ago there were complaints about new words entering the language - words like curry and thug, and constructions like "slice of life". Prior to that, practically the entire modern English language was invented from whole cloth by Shakespeare, and the complaints and mockery his words generated as they entered the language were legion.

Language changes. Get over it.

1. Hargrove

@Graham Dawson

All right, you know what? I'm getting tired of this. Dictionaries record the language as it is spoken. They are not a set of rules. If a word gains traction and becomes part of the language, it will be put in the dictionary.

Partly true, partly not. If a word gains traction and becomes a generally recognized part of the language it belongs.

However, dictionaries like to OED may not be "rules", but they are, in a very real sense, standards. And if they are going to be standards, they need to have standards. Otherwise, we all wind up like Lewis Carroll's Alice, dealing with the Humpty Dumpties around us who define words to mean whatever is expedient for them.

Our lexicographers should stay out of that business, and leave it to the politicians who are the real experts at it.

As for "cray." The Aussie/Kiwi use of the term for "crayfish" is entirely plausible. But, I live in the US, and I have never heard the term cray cray used for crazy--even on the shows the Disney channel tailors for 12-14 year girls. (Having granddaughters that age, I've gotten to watch more than a few.)

I have no doubt that the term is used somewhere by that demographic group (probably California). If and when it becomes standard usage in the US, it belongs in OED. Until then, I see no reason to let teeny-boppers set our standards. .

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

However, dictionaries like to OED may not be "rules", but they are, in a very real sense, standards

Only among those who don't know any better. And it's difficult to sympathize with pedants who can't be bothered to learn what a descriptive dictionary is.

2. P. Lee

If a new word does gain traction, that's one thing.

If its obviously meaningless drivel pushed by mass-media companies as a parody of reality, leave it in the gutter to die, or better, kick it into the path of oncoming traffic.

Both curry and thug are derivatives of proper words and are usefully used to describe something.

Actually, I'm not so fussed as long as the new words are clearly marked "slang" and teachers enforce the rule that slang should never be used in school because schools are there to teach you to do things correctly.

10. Truth4u

cray

Had to look it up, wish I didn't

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: cray

> Had to look it up

Good job someone put it in the dictionary then.

2. MJI Silver badge

Re: cray

I already know I do not need a dictionary.

We all know about the stylish supercomputers.

I will conduct an office poll later as to the meaning

11. Ross K Silver badge
    Facepalm

Wot, No Swag?

Totes magotes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycyCDXhd_AU

12. Tom 7

Can we get the verb "gove" into the next one?

An action taken despite all the experts in the given field pissing themselves laughing at the stupidity of the actor until they realise they are doomed.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I think In Oz

we call that an Abetz.

13. Purple-Stater

Could be worse

They could have added "freetard" or "commentard".

14. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

A plethora of new words were added to the arbiter of our language

Assuming your language is English, there is no arbiter of it, and in particular the OED is not one.

Damn prescriptivists are everywhere. Must be something in the water.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like