Feeds

back to article What's next for OpenGL for the desktop, mobile devices, and the web?

Graphics standards body the Khronos Group has called on industry players to help draft the next generation of the OpenGL spec, a major rewrite that's expected to help unify the OpenGL development model for desktop PCs, mobile devices, and the web. "Fast-paced work on detailed proposals and designs are already underway, and any …

Linux

first steam, and now

with "triple-A" game makers like Blizzard, EA, and Epic joining the typical hardware and tool vendors at the table for the first time.

The future of gaming on Linux is looking bright.

WTF?

Re: first steam, and now

Ok , I've just read Microsoft has joined the party too.

There's a conspiracy theory in there somewhere......

Re: first steam, and now

The future of linux gaming is indeed bright, but not because of the companies you just listed, I very much doubt we'll ever see a linux title from blizzard or ea (even though blizzard have internal linux builds of at least wow, they'd never release anything for linux). To have epic back is wonderful though.

EDIT: Sometimes I dream that blizzard open sources starcraft1, that would be nice...

If this is anything like the last major rewrite...

...it'll be delayed for years and hardly deliver any of what it promised. OpenGL 3 was a disaster, and with the same Khronos still in control, I don't have any hopes for this new OpenGL 5 either.

Re: If this is anything like the last major rewrite...

To be fair it wasn't khronos's fault, it was the pressure from cad people that befucked ogl3.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon