back to article Love in the time of the GPS sees chap propose with Google Map

Bending at the knee and handing over a piece of ancient compressed crystalline carbon may be the traditional way to propose marriage, but the modern age offers us new and exciting ways to pop the question. As exercise-tracking app Endomondo has chronicled, one of its users hopped on a bike and cycled around, then uploaded the …

1. jake Silver badge

Contrived. Probably by Endomondo.

Pure advertising, the "happy couple" likely doesn't exist.

Stop falling for this kind of shit, ElReg. You're letting the side down.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Contrived. Probably by Endomondo.

You really are a miserable, cynical, old fart, jake.

1. jake Silver badge

I'm not miserable by any stretch of the imagination. I'll cop to cynical.

Not an old fart, not quite yet. I'm getting there, though ... and quite looking forward to being able to claim that title.

Anonymous Cowards ... Have you not noticed that nothing you attempt to contribute to this forum is actually useful in the great scheme of things? Just asking ...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Jake Re: Contrived. Probably by Endomondo.

Nothing in the great scheme of things is useful especially techno-phobic anti-everything-post-1995 drivel.

2. Eponymous Cowherd
          Thumb Up

"I'm not miserable by any stretch of the imagination"

Personally I always imagine you as a cross between Victor Meldrew and Yosemite Sam.....

1. cortland

Say yer prayers, yew VARMINT!

Whistling, enters stage left, rabbit... "Eh, what's up, Doc?"

2. DropBear
      Facepalm

Yeah, it would be a tad bit weird if one got handed this on a phone, only to return it without an answer, saying only "excuse me, I have some urgent cycling to do..."

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Article explains that she said yes straight away, and tracked her response later as a formality...

At dinner that evening, he confessed that he had taken the afternoon off work and gone for a bike ride without her. He then shared the link to the Endomondo workout and asked her to look at it on her phone. She looked at her screen, immediately saw the message and after getting over the surprise, gave him her answer…”of course!”

For the record, she tracked her response later on too: [map deleted]

3. ssharwood

Hmmm. Must say my BS detector didn't fire at all on this one, largely because the writing was so shabby and so was the photography of the couple. I reckon if it was a put-up job the protagonists would have been hardbodies and the writing would have been rather better. Or maybe I fell for it.

But thanks for the comment. I timely reminder to keep the BS detector in tip-top shape.

4. Kunari

I was thinking much the same. IIRC a runner did this a few years ago in San Francisco using the Nike app on his iToy.

2. getHandle

Preferred this one...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/06/runner-nike-san-francisco-penis

3. smartypants

Limited possibilities for this sort of thing in London

Someone trying to do this in Soho (assuming they follow the roadsigns!) is going to have to be happy with simpler messages such as:

"WTWT"

or

"oooOoooOOoooo"

...as they spend 4 hours of their lives trying locked in the struggle to negotiate their way around the one-way systems to deliver the latest hipster teeshirts.

4. frank ly

" ...suggest they are occasional cyclists with unexciting bikes."

Ordinary people can find love too.

1. Chris Evans

Re: " ...suggest they are occasional cyclists with unexciting bikes."

As a club cyclist I'd say that given the short straights the number of turns, u turns, crossing roads and the need to always be aware of where they are on each letter, they were riding quite quickly.

Happiness to the both of them!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

As usual

the woman has clearer bike writing.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well from her point of view, an occasional cyclist might be a better prospect....

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/cyclingworkouts/a/BikingImpotence.htm

7. Natalie Gritpants

Disappointed

Riding around city blocks is too easy, I was expecting him to have ridden around in the desert.

And another thing, he didn't dot the i.

8. bigtimehustler

Well, whether or not this is real, I don't think her answer was really provided this way. She may have said yes and then done it as a gesture afterwards, but not giving your answer until ages after you have done this would be a bit harsh.

9. Markl2011

Lordina?

It looks like Loonib to me! Maybe she said no though

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like