back to article BlackBerry: Toss the server, mate... BES is in the CLOUD now

BlackBerry has given users another reason to throw out their BlackBerry servers – by putting BES10 into the cloud as a hosted service. It's a long-overdue move, allowing existing BlackBerry sites to set up and manage the first-rate MDM and secure communications services offered BlackBerry via the web, rather than maintaining …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too little too late. We already moved to Windows Phone and tossed the BES platform completely.

2. Levente Szileszky

"enterprise push email"

Push isn't much of a selling point unless you're in one of those niche business but then chances are you already have BES or another competing solution - however GOOD security is much more important now, post-Snowden.

Now that they have the all the cloud pieces in place BB should start offering hosted/cloud-based secure email service on their own, touting their end-to-end (within their domains, of course) AES256 etc encryption, providing VPN etc.

I understand this won't do anything for dubious local LAE access - hey, that's something Congress should fix - but at least it would offer *some* protection against the completely illegal attacks of the completely out-of-control, completely rotten UKUSA-based intelligence establishment.

3. b166er

There was, for a while, a Blackberry cloud-based platform, that was canned. We had been using it too and it was quite good.

Still, no-one round here uses Blackberry's any more, so...

4. Khaptain Silver badge

The Catch

>The catch? The hosted option only applies to BES10, the current suite.

So that excludes some of the large corporate structures then......I know that ours is definately not on BES10 and I haven't heard about any upgrade plans in the near future.... I can esilly presume that we are not alone.

1. RNixon

Re: The Catch

Presumably if you already have a pre-BB10 system in place, you're not really looking to move to a cloud hosting for it.

2. nutellapr

Re: The Catch

The article indicates that BES 12 can do both and will be released in November..and it's a free upgrade.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud BES has been around for ages....

Many hosted Exchange providers also offer hosted BES so this again is another thing Blackberry are offering which is not going to save them. I'm forever getting emails about licence exchanging between the old BES and BES10 at no cost. Its just a mess.

There's a lot of obsession about security but you know what....many companies just want their emails to work and are quite happy with the security Android and iOS give them.

Any USPs left? They did have data compression which was perfect when roaming abroad outside Europe as kept the data costs down hugely....but they've dropped that with their latest handsets.

Such a shame as I really liked BlackBerry I just wish they would hurry up and get their act together.

If I was them I would bring out a couple of decent handsets with qwerty keypads, ditch the Passport which is odd to say the least, bring back data compression and add the Google Playstore so no side loading apps which the average userbhas no clue how to do.

Then they would have something which might actually sell.

Oh and don't launch phones at iPhone prices because people will just buy an iPhone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon