back to article Don't look, Snowden: Security biz chases Tails with zero-day flaws alert

Vulnerability analysis outfit Exodus Intelligence has warned that the Tails operating system has a number of critical vulnerabilities that can expose the identity of its users if properly finessed by an attacker. Tails, which received a recommendation from fugitive whistleblower Edward Snowden, is a Debian Linux–based OS …

1. John Tserkezis

"The company makes its coin by identifying zero-day flaws in computer systems and selling the knowledge to its client base. Customers include the US Department of Defense and DARPA,"

Sigh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I know!

It's so bizarre that companies try to mislead. Chances are, like with most undiscovered security holes, the NSA /US/British Government have paid for them to keep quiet about it whilst they exploit it. That means TAILS has been exploited for God knows how long

Regardless, if they operate in the US they are subject to the Patriot Act anyway, which means whether they want to or not they have to give their findings to the State. And then everyone that nothing has happened. We all saw what happened when Lavabit tried to oppose it openly.

2. Ole Juul

Exodus Intelligence

Given how the company "makes its coin " one might have difficulty trusting them. Where does their allegiance lie? The government, developers, the people, or none of the above? I think we all know the answer.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Morals of a stray dog

My conscience wouldn't let me work for a company like that, not even as a floor sweeper. These people are worse than the the organisations they sell the information to.

I have the same contempt for them as I have for blackmailers, who also make money out of other people's suffering - and that is a certainty with the snooping that will result.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What fools

If you take your security advice from Snowden then you really are an ass clown.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: What fools

Says the user with almost 700 posts and who never once appears to have posted without the "anonymous coward" tag.

1. phil dude
        Joke

is he the random downvoter?

P.

2. FormerKowloonTonger
      Trollface

Believe it: Snowden is chortling at all of the dis-information he's been dishing out with more to come as he sees the opportunities popping up.

1. nogero

Snowden is now pushing his own "brand" now.

5. Brian Miller

Everything has flaws

Everything has flaws, especially code that's just hacked together. The question is, how bad are these flaws? Is the flaw something that we can expect to be exploited by a script kiddie, or is it something that leaks data that requires mathematical analysis for it to be informative?

If the Tails distro has bugs in it like fleas on a junkyard dog, I want to know! Not only do public alerts tell us what's going on, but it gives those of us who code a chance to fix problems.

6. AimanA
    Facepalm

Easy fix for this all

Use Tails on a random public WiFi, make sure the laptop has no HD in it. Security has layers. The more there are, the harder it is to pierce the veil.

Surely nobody who uses Tails/TOR does so from the 'privacy' of their home or office. Right?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like