back to article NEW Raspberry Pi B+, NOW with - count them - FOUR USB ports

A new Raspberry Pi model has emerged, rectifying one of the most common gripes directed at its predecessors: it now comes complete with four USB 2.0 ports. The Raspberry Pi B+ was announced this morning, but had already gone on sale a few hours earlier in Australia. The machine was also the subject of a frenzied weekend of …

power

Most noteworthy change here ( for me ) is the removal of that pesky resistor that limited power in to 5v 1A. Now supporting 2A which makes the requirement for the external usb hub evaporate. Would have liked a little more RAM but.. the changes to power without having to pop out the soldering iron are welcomed.

Silver badge
Pint

I wonder if the new Pi-B powers up via the USB ports?

Using a powered hub, and the hub (lacking a diode) provided +5v on the USB cable back to the Pi. The Pi wasn't particular about where the +5v showed up, so it would refuse to turn OFF when its power supply was turned off; happily continuing to run with the power unintentionally provided by the powered hub. Eventually I opened up the powered hub and cut a trace. That sorted it.

Do you think that they'll eventually release a Pi 'R' version? If they did, then I'd buy two. ...

Bronze badge
Joke

Re: I wonder if the new Pi-B powers up via the USB ports?

The fact that you posted an hour before me and hadn't yet received an upvote for that joke fills me with despair for the wits of our fellow commentariat.

Pi "R" may sadly be a while coming though. So far we're only at "B" and we've had two models and a revision of the second, so I fully expect the "R" to come with integral hoverboard.

By comparison, the Pi "D" is just around the corner, and you'll only need one of those :)

Re: I wonder if the new Pi-B powers up via the USB ports?

The B+ can't be powered up via its USB ports. µUSB or GPIO only now. There is USB power limiting too - software settable - 600mA and 1.2A.

hmm

got two of the B models. one for openelec and one for munin.

if this, new, model had a dual-core CPU and 1GB of RAM i'd be sold on it but the extra USB ports and micro SD don't warrant a purchase...for me anyway.

Silver badge

Re: hmm

yeah, its a shame. I also run an openelec and would have loved just a tiny bit more oompf.

Silver badge

More RAM and/more speed would have required a new SoC. And that would break a lot of backward compatibility (and wouldn't be a B+ but a C model).

This is an evolution so as not to require too much in the way of change. It basically fixes up most of the problems people had with the original device - lack of USB, connector placement and power supply.

Silver badge

don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining, just saying. 4x USB is a great improvement in itself.

something else has changed on the board though as I thought the hub only had 4 USB. I thought the SD card took a USB slot up along with the 2x USB already there and the Ethernet had the last one.

Silver badge

Cool. However the card change limits your ability to swap SD cards with other Pis.

Silver badge

That's quite arguable, considering so far I got a normal-SD adapter with every single micro-SD card I bought.

The switch to MicroSD means you would have to switch all your Pi's both new and old to use MicroSD's and then use adapters for the older models I guess.

It would be a pain, but then - do you regularly swap the cards around? I've a couple of the B's but almost never have need to swap the cards round.

But then, that all depends on your use-case :o

I don't think I've ever seen anyone using a full size SD with a raspberry pi. Almost everyone uses a microSD in an adapter. Often people want the flexibility to re-use the card from an old phone/tablet or microSD is more easily available.

Anonymous Coward

Composite Output

Their blog says they've moved it into the 3.5mm Jack, so non-standard wiring required, but it's still available.

Re: Composite Output

Ooh, my old Archos had composite in a 3.5mm, wonder if I still have the cable...

Bronze badge

Is there a standard that encompasses this though? Or at the very least an informal but commonly agreed way of wiring it?

It's something that's been done for quite a few years, I believe the Nokia N95 (and I'm sure other models) did this with a 4 pole 3.5mm jack to 3 RCA output and that same cable worked on some other devices including a digital camera and a tablet I had.

Maplin sells two types of 3.5mm leads with 3x RCA. A Sony or Panasonic lead. So at least 2 standards. :)

Silver badge
Facepalm

I didn't even know the Pi Model B had composite out. I was waiting till I replaced my CRT with a HD telly before buying...

Silver badge

old Samsung omnias did too. I used an old camcorder lead that had a 4 pole socket - that worked well enough.

Anonymous Coward

I knew all those years of not throwing away strange looking cables and keeping a drawer full of them had to pay off some day. Just some day. I suppose if I'm not the only one that is reluctant to throw away perfectly working things without knowing exactly if/when I'm going to need them.

ZSn

I had the same problem, I waited until I noticed that it did have composite out. It works a treat (the audio's not great, but hey). The only problem was that the cable I bought was a bit cheap and I had to do a bit of re-wiring to get it to work - which might explain the poor audio :-)

ah ha, its very satisfying when one of those old cables (that I have been told to get rid of on more than one occasion) can have a new lease of life. like for example a SCART (worst AV connector ever...) cable that found a new home by connecting a very old TV to a DVB-T box.

Silver badge

At least 2?!! Ha, you're having a laugh!

There are actually more combinations of pin out from a 4 pole stereo video jack than the mathematics of permutations allow!

Seriously!

You can have a box of 4 pole break out cables, but never the one you actually need!

I think my SEGA Game Gear TV had 3.5mm to 1 RCA Out. I also think I still have that cable.

Bronze badge

So it's the same crap old ARM core with some extra ports on the on-board usb hub?

I guess more usb ports that barely work is key to saving the children.

Bearing in mind it has to be powered from a micro USB and mustn't cost more than £50, what core would you suggest?

and it is the B+. not the pi 2 - not mentioned in the article but a point they made on the website.

Also apparently the guy who got his early is full of shite too and stole the images from someone else who'd kindly taken them down as to not ruin the surprise. Personally I wouldn't link to his site to drive viewer stats but that's me.

Anonymous Coward

@sampler

Yes, the photo's were nicked from someone who indeed was kind enough to take the pictures down.

The guy who then posted them was a real jerk about it (and still is) - one of 'those'people who wanted their 5 seconds in the limelight, and didn't care how many people he pissed off to do it. So expect said jerk to be whining around the internet trying to attract attention.

Silver badge

"Bearing in mind it has to be powered from a micro USB and mustn't cost more than £50, what core would you suggest?"

Does it matter?

What ever was selected would be not enough, or too much. The objective is not to criticise the specification, but to whine about it not being the right one.

Silver badge

@ JOhn Bailey

Well said sir!

Silver badge

to be fair, £26 is nowhere near £50 though. The hummingboard might suit your needs, there is a 1gb/2 core or 2gb/4 core version allegedly shipping soon. Banana Pi is a dual core/1gb board that can be bought for under £50 too so there are options for you if you need a small Linux computer with some more oompf.

Anonymous Coward

there are options for you if you need a small Linux computer with some more oompf.

What I'm looking for is something with 2 ethernet ports so I can run a small firewall such as IPcop..

Silver badge

usb Ethernet adapter? Now the PI has 4 USB ports then you can have a few usb devices.

Bronze badge

>What I'm looking for is something with 2 ethernet ports so I can run a small firewall

>such as IPcop..

The shame with the beaglebone black is that it has another ethernet port but the pins for it aren't on the cape headers.. I want to do a cape with a micrel 4 port managed switch but alas it was not meant to be. All of this stuff is 100mbit anyhow. If you want something with gigabit interfaces and gigabit phys attached you need to look for something based on the Marvell Armada or similar that's made for NAS work.

Bronze badge

>usb Ethernet adapter?

Considering how bad the "on board" usb ethernet already is do you think it would be wise to add yet another usb ethernet interface to the mix?

Silver badge

forgot to add. If you need a lot more power then look at an itx board. With an external PSU they are still quite small. My PI replaced an already small AMD e350 that I had shoehorned into an old hollowed out DVD player case (wife friendly looking) but it still needed a 120mm fan (quiet) to keep some sort of airflow so did make "some" noise. The PI is silent (and naked, it is just shoved behind the tv cabinet! only an IR "eye" pokes out of the side of the cabinet)

Next job is to fashion an IR power on function on the PI GPIO as the old e350 had a CIR socket that let me do that from "suspend". Cant say I have ever had an issue with the USB, granted im only using it as a media centre so I probably wouldn't notice the odd frame oddity.

Bronze badge

@Richard 81

>mustn't cost more than £50, what core would you suggest?

BBB is less than 50 quid.

This guy is 30 euro:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A10/A10-OLinuXino-LIME/open-source-hardware

This is 40 euro:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A10/A10-OLinuXino-LIME-4GB/open-source-hardware

This one has 4 1.7ghz cores and is $65 (their shipping does suck though):

http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G138745696275

Silver badge

@Daniel Palmer

Your information on the USB is out of date. The huge majority of issues with it have been fixed. There are some corner cases where you might still have problems, but they are rare.

If you are going to continue to slag off the Raspberry Pi, please make sure your facts are correct first.

Bronze badge

Re: @Daniel Palmer

>Your information on the USB is out of date.

I think you're under the assumption I don't actually have any raspberry pi on hand to check this;

daniel@mirmachina:~$ ssh pi@shitpi

Enter passphrase for key '/home/daniel/.ssh/id_rsa':

Linux raspberrypi 3.10.25+ #622 PREEMPT Fri Jan 3 18:41:00 GMT 2014 armv6l

I have some green pi, I have some Chinese red pi .. I have no pi that doesn't reboot when USB devices are inserted or the usb doesn't lock up after a few days in action with certain devices like FTDI USB to serial chips. I have some clients with hundreds of pis deployed and they all have the same issues or even worse kill SD cards. I wonder if it's a PSU issue.. oh wait, this pi is running on it's own Cosel (that's a good brand btw) 10A industrial power supply.

>The huge majority of issues with it have been fixed.

Software fixes aren't going to fix issues that seem to be down to inrush current when inserting USB devices.

>If you are going to continue to slag off the Raspberry Pi,

>please make sure your facts are correct first.

boohoo

Silver badge

I'm under no assumptions about you at all.

This new version of the Raspi fixes the problem with hot plugging of USB.

FTDI chips should now work fine. That's the software fix I was talking about. If you are still seeing any problems and are using the very latest firmware and kernel (it appears your version is woefully out of date), please let the engineers know via the forum or via the firmware/kernel github reporting system.

SD cards wear out. Nothing the Foundation can do about that. There are techniques you can use to reduce the amount of accesses to the SD card which helps a lot.

Boo Hoo yourself.

Bronze badge

>This new version of the Raspi fixes the problem with hot plugging of USB.

So it took 3M units to spin a new revision that fixes a major issue. Awesome.

>FTDI chips should now work fine.

Nope. They still get into a locked up state with the latest kernel.

>That's the software fix I was talking about.

Do you have a link to the commit that "fixes" it?

>latest firmware and kernel (it appears your version is woefully out of date)

This board is running the 3.10 kernel. One of the others I have is running the 3.12 kernel. Same issues.

>SD cards wear out.

Not in the way we were seeing. Stop making assumptions.

>There are techniques you can use to reduce the amount of accesses

>to the SD card which helps a lot.

Have you worked with ubifs etc?

Anonymous Coward

@Daniel Palmer

This one has 4 1.7ghz cores and is $65 (their shipping does suck though):

http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G138745696275

They have a European reseller: Pollin. Site is in German but I managed to order from them with the help of Google translate. I ordered one bunch of Odroid stuff from them and had a good experience, so I ended up ordering more stuff from them later. You can probably also email them if you're not sure on translations of things. All emails I got from them were in English, so it was nearly as easy as ordering from the likes of Dabs or Farnell.

Oh, and IMO the Odroid boards are great, by the way. Great bang per buck, though I'll probably also get at least one of these new Pi boards :)

Bronze badge

@Anonymous Coward

I'm in Japan so you would think they would ship them by registered post to here but they won't unless something has changed recently. $40 DHL shipping isn't really worth it on a single board. If they would stock at Digikey or something that would be great as usually it's free shipping on orders >$70 and that's still lower than the minimum for import duty.

Re: @sampler

> The guy who then posted them was a real jerk about it

If you are talking about rikkid, actually he came across as rather helpful when I was chatting to him in IRC. The mods have been spreading loads of FUD about him, you seem to have bought into it without knowing the full story.

If anything, the Pi mods have been total idiots by deleting threads without comment and banning people when other sites *already had the Pi on sale*. Stable, bolted. I'll get me coat

Silver badge

Re: @Anonymous Coward

Actually most German online electronics stores have Raspberry Pies. Pollin is mostly known for surplus and used stuff.

Daniel seems to be particularly unlucky with his hardware. Perhaps he should replace his nylon carpets and start wearing leather soled shoes and clothes without "man-made" fibres.

I've used dozens of Rpi machines of various types for any number of functions. They have all been entirely reliable and many are in continuous use. My only real hardware-related gripe is that it would be nice to have some more RAM to play with. However, at the price, these little machines are amazing!

Cost

And there i was thinking the PI was to be a ultra cheap device for people to play with..

Now adding bits and bobs to it bumps up the price.... sort of defeats the projects original goal...

BUT i see where you guys are coming from and i would have thought the higher end ARMs would have come down in price sine the PIs launch.... But then you get a staggered board with multiple revisions....

Re: Cost

Except it is the same price. Noted here, at the source: http://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing-raspberry-pi-model-b-plus/

Silver badge

Indeed - the prices are exactly the same, so you are actually getting more for your money. No need for a hub for example, so overall cost is actually lower.

Silver badge

Just an alternative for people. Need more USB and don't care about a standard composite out? get the B+ Don't use >2 USB and have only full size SD cards? Get the model B. Both are the same price.

Anonymous Coward

And there i was thinking the PI was to be a ultra cheap device for people to play with.

At 26 smackers it is ultra cheap. In the "hobbyist" space, compare it to something like an Arduino and you get so much more with the new Pi for very little difference in price. Compare it to the typical development boards for embedded ARM stuff, and it's no wonder that the Pi is proving popular in industrial applications.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums