back to article Samsung Z mobe a NO-SHOW at Moscow Tizen Developer Summit

Samsung has suffered another setback in its quest to offer the world an alternative to Android, having failed to launch the first smartphone running its Tizen mobile OS as planned. The Tizen-powered Samsung Z does exist. There were plenty on display at the Tizen Developer Conference in San Francisco in June. What conference …

Silver badge
Facepalm

No problem

Tizen will fail the same way Microsoft and Blackberry's mobile OS's have, and like those, they will turn to Android to save them.

Oh, wait...

Anonymous Coward

Jollas day in the sun.

Things should be looking good for Jollas plan to license the OS to phone makers.

At least if these giants would look at history and admit that they are unlikely to suddenly get good at delivering this sort of phone OS in a timely fashion.

(And realise that the fantasy of "one OS to rule them all" multi-platform b.s is the rock that numerous other ships have foundered on. As soon as they say its going to work of phones and cars and toasters, you know they will get bogged down and never actually deliver.)

Hard to see why Samsung and Sony don't throw some pocket change towards Jolla, and support making an image for one of the standard phones, and let it run. You would think it was a pretty low risk strategy.

Re: Jollas day in the sun.

Have you actually ever used a Jolla phone? I bought into the hype...and sold it three months later. it's nowhere near ready for primetime. I would love to see it blossom but there are so many bugs, niggles and ui problems, coupled with the complete lack of public awareness I find it hard to believe that sailfish will ever anything but a curiosity.

If BB10 (which is far more stable, productive, user friendly and android compatible than sailfish) and WinPho 8.1 (which has Microsoft behind it) have trouble getting marketshare then there is your answer - Samsung and Sony aren't in the business of wasting money on other people's hobby projects. In fact Sony are rumoured to be testing WinPho xperias so there's another reason for them not to bother.

> I would love to see it blossom but there are so many bugs, niggles and ui problems,

> coupled with the complete lack of public awareness I find it hard to believe that

> sailfish will ever anything but a curiosity.

Yeah, Jolla isn't ready for your Grandma to use, and is only _just_ functional for nerds. (I say this as a Jolla user.) Remember though that iOS sucked until version 3, and Android was awful until Gingerbread. A good, stable OS takes time.

Bronze badge

Speaking as someone who has a Gingerbread phone... Gingerbread ain't all that good, either.

Anonymous Coward

"none so far have committed to releasing actual products."

... except for the one's Samsung actually has released.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums