back to article Do your execs take mobile security seriously?

One of the findings emerging from our latest poll is that many of you are highlighting a lack of exec awareness and air cover when it comes to mobile security. This in turn appears to translate to a lack of funding to put the systems in place to cope with new devices, BYOD and so on. Is this something you are experiencing? If …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Buzzword

Mobile security? Hah. Getting them to take more than a passing interest in regular security would be a good start.

2. SoaG

Formatting of the poll is messed up from 2.4 onward. All text at top of each section and all selection bullets below undifferentiated.

1. Don Jefe

Yeah, I got that too. It has taken me hours to drive around and redo the survey 25-30 times to test if my initial IP address was somehow causing the formatting problem. You should try that too.

3. Don Jefe

Questions

I like surveys that ask 'Where are you located geographically?'. I don't know that it's any of their business, but it raises some important questions.

What if I'm in a plane, or ship, over/in international waters?

What if I've reversed the Schrodinger's Cat exercise and therefore not only not know where I am, I'm not able to confirm I'm actually anywhere. The 'outside' may exist, but then again, it might not. For arguments sake, let's say I looked and there did appear to be an 'outside'. Since that was after I had read the question does it want me to respond with what I knew, or didn't, before or after the existence of 'outside' confirmed?

What if, either by science, or ancient forbidden knowledge, I was in two or more places simultaneously? Which me is the 'index key' me? Take Voldemort for example. He was able to divide his being into multiple parts so that of he were killed he could return to life as long as at least one of those parts was extant. Therefore, each part must contain a complete copy of Voldemort. Since we know he did not lose memories the individual parts are, in fact, real time 'mirrored servers', which one is the question directed at?

On the science side, if I'm using a matter teleportation device it's possible for me to be in three places at once, Cmdr. William Riker has documented the experience. At the same time it's possible for me to be completely in the pattern buffer which just gets difficult. Presumably the 'Don Jefe' image would be too large for a single component so it would be split across multiple storage arrays in the most efficient way possible. Which component would be the correct answer? Since digital data is just another take on Schrodinger's Cat, it gets even more difficult.

The survey industry really needs to step up their game. If they want to know where I'm at they they should at least add a text field to that question.

1. Arachnoid

Re: Questions

Calm down dear...

1. Don Jefe

Yeah. I suppose I am overly concerned about it all. People have always told me I had odd priorities anyway. I mean, the ankle bracelet is pretty good at broadcasting my location. The resolution on that thing is pretty phenomenal you know. If I go more than a meter or so outside my compound the security service has people out there immediately screaming at me to go back. I've tried talking to the those guys, but they're a bunch of assholes. What the fuck kind of state is 'Trooper' anyway?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'Your location' will be thoroughly moot for anyone in transit when we finally realise the Infinite Improbability Drive, which:

"passes through every conceivable point in every conceivable universe almost simultaneously," meaning that you are "never sure where you'll end up or even what species you'll be when they get there" and "it's therefore important to dress accordingly".

4. Nathan Brathahn
    Alert

Exec =! Security

Guess who brought in the first iThing

5. HipposRule
    Unhappy

I was quite lucky....

...despite us about to roll out over nearly 1500 tablets they run full 8.1 so I couldn't get any further than 2.1(?). Still need a mobile device strategy for them though

6. chivo243 Silver badge

Mobile Security?

I’m pretty sure the directors where I work think that means a seat belt!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like