Feeds

back to article Tegile boots Dell array out of chemical biz. Dell responds: Tegile, who?

Hybrid array maker Tegile has kicked a Dell box out of chemical distributor Hawkins, the storage upstart claims, by replacing a Compellent array with one of its own systems. Tegile says this indicates the power of modern hybrid flash-disk arrays over traditional SANs. Tegile has also replaced a slow FlexPod system at another …

Wheeling and dealing

"Let me know what my cost is and what I need to do to purchase this."

That's a unique vendor negotiation strategy. Please do let us know how that works out for you.

Bronze badge

This...

"The Compellent array maxed out at around 6,000 IOPS but the Tegile Zebi hit 35,000, meaning more servers and users could be supported."

...sounds like someone either undersized or incorrectly configured the Compellent array, since a pair of SC8000 controllers with 64GB of RAM can do 6,000 8k (avg) random IOPS with 70%-ish reads on 24 drives - I know because I did it myself and hit 7422@10.25ms response time. A Compellent will not "max out" at 6,000 IOPS, not even close.

For reference, the 6 SLC + 6 MLC flash/hybrid shelf is designed to sustain 77,000 IOPS with sub-millisecond latency.

So either someone screwed the pooch designing or installing, or alternately, someone is lying.

Anonymous Coward

Re: This...

yeah, if your array is 'maxing out' at 6k IOPS your not talking enterprise numbers at all... for any vendor.

sizing issue?

Anonymous Coward

Re: This...

I would have to agree...being an ex-Compellent employee and knowing that system extremely well, this is just a prime example of customer negelect, undersizing, incompetence, or a combination of all. The Compellent array has its issues, but to max out at 6000 IOPS is rediculous!

Child please

Nearly all of the Tegile sales staff is ex Dell. They most certainly know who they are.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Child please

Correct, quite a few were ex-Dell (mostly Compellent sales/techies to be exact)... except they realised the technology is far behind the marketing they spout, and left for Code42 -amongst others- over the last year or so (which is great tech, by the way).

Source: LinkedIn.

Re: Child please

Apples and oranges comparison ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon