back to article Chrome Remote Desktop adds Linux to supported OS list

Google has tweaked Chrome Remote Desktop to let it access Linux machines. Chrome Remote Desktop is a Chrome (the browser) extension that provides remote access to another desktop. Often suggested as a remote support tool, the technology is also a nice way to access a remote PC on which you left that file you really need to …

1. ColonelDare
    Linux

Am I missing the point here?

I have been driving my remote Debian based machines (RasberryPi-headless, Xubuntu, etc) using TiightVNC server and VNC viewer (from Chrome app store) for a while now.

Using an old single-core Athlon based PC (c.10yrs old) the desktop runs beautifully on my HP Chrome book, LibreOffice/ Gimp etc - and the GUI often runs faster over VNC than it does on the host machine due to better graphics on the Chromebook, I guess.

Anyway, I'm pleased to see even more options and flexibility for the Linux desktop - and to paraphrase Mark Twain - "The reports of [the Linux desktop's] death are greatly exaggerated."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Am I missing the point here?

Yes your missing the share everything with Google angle. Traditional remote access via SSH, VNC, X, Rdesktop, etc. work between consenting hosts and do not involve a man-in-the-middle.

Your choice: stay safer, with privacy, or join the brave new world and drop your knickers for the G-man.

1. ColonelDare

[To A/C] > Your choice: stay safer, with privacy, or join the brave new world and....

Yes, consider these things and rightly so, but as I am using VNC with my Raspberry Pi (pw default 'raspberry') to photograph Swallows nesting in my garage I won't be too paranoid about Google/GCHQ et al seeing what I'm up to. They are hardly weird selfies after all ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"They are hardly weird selfies after all ;-)"

Are there *really* any other kind?

:)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm..

Does anyone know how this works? If it needs an intermediate server (typically to do NAT traversal), can that be your own server or is Google involved in the chain from extension to desktop? If it's the latter I would personally avoid it.

Having said that, Teamviewer is no different in that respect, and nor are other solutions. As long as your access goes via a 3rd party you ought to worry.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Hmmm..

It does go through Google.

Still, it's come in handy a few times for me, as most people seem to have a copy of Chrome installed, so I don't have to mess about getting them to download a remote desktop client, and once it's connected it seems to work pretty well.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Wow, if only there was a way to find out the answers to above questions

Type

"Chrome Remote Desktop" into say Google and look what appears.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1649523?hl=en

1. vagabondo
      Facepalm

Re: Wow, if only there was a way to find out the answers to above questions

> Type ...

or alternatively you could have saved that brain cell a little, and just clicked on the link in the article. The word "here" in the fourth paragraph links to that very same page.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow, if only there was a way to find out the answers to above questions

Hmm, let me see.

Code by: supplier. Service by: supplier. Assurances of security: by supplier.

Yup, sounds legit.

The idea was to see if anyone has picked up something - in other words, NOT the supplier. Past experience suggests that "trust" and "Google" don't sit well in the same sentence without "absolutely not" somewhere in between.

4. g00se
    Linux

What's new?

I've had Chrome Remote Desktop on my Linux boxes for months now, so I'm wondering what's changed?

I decided I'd allow the de facto man-in-the-middle spying by the G man to make it easier to set up remoting to a Windows box as server. Problem was that it was pointless - last I looked it didn't support UAC so as soon as you had to do anything privileged, it was game over. Did they fix that?

1. vagabondo

Re: What's new?

What's wrong with "rdesktop", with or without a GUI?

5. g00se
    Linux

rdesktop

>>What's wrong with "rdesktop", with or without a GUI?

You must move in exalted circles. The vast majority of Windows OS installs don't support rdp-as-server

1. vagabondo

Re: rdesktop

WinXP does/did. You had to enable "Remote Access/support" from the menu, and do the equivalent of adding the user to the "remote login" group. Has it been dropped? I don't have any MS products, and it's been a while since i needed to access one.

6. g00se
    Linux

Win rdp server support

>>WinXP does/did.

Only XP Pro afaik

1. Jonathan 27

Re: Win rdp server support

I think you'll find that most cases that require a lot of remote access, all the systems are running Pro versions of Windows because after you get past a certain number of machines domain support is pretty much a requirement. If you're just talking about your toy computers at home...

7. g00se
    Linux

Win rdp server support

>>If you're just talking about your toy computers at home...

Well _any_ machine running Windows is more or less of a toy IMO, but as it happens, i was talking about other people's (more) toylike domestic machines

8. Steve Graham

x11vnc

In case you've missed it, you can "export" your current X session via VNC with x11vnc (package in Debian etc.).

Of course, the more traditional model of starting up a brand new session for VNC access may be preferable in some circumstances.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like