Feeds

back to article YES, you CAN install paid-for apps on Android Wear – if devs rebuild them

Google has published a workaround that allows paid-for apps to be installed on Android Wear devices, but it's hardly straightforward and it's nothing device owners can do themselves. Early adopters who purchased LG G or Samsung Gear Live smartwatches have been stymied by a glitch in the Google Play store's app encryption scheme …

FAIL

Quite an oversight...

I'm not 100% up on the details of this stuff, but are we saying that Google released Android Wear with a bug in it that means paid-for apps cannot be installed on Wear devices? Who the hell tested this? Surely one of the tests is to check that you can install free AND paid-for apps on the device?!

Shoddy, Ted, SHODDY!

Re: Quite an oversight...

I'm betting it was a cost cutting measure to only try free apps...

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Quite an oversight...

They only test major use cases, obviously paying for Android apps is not one of them.

Anonymous Coward

A bit overdramatic

I mean it will take about 15 minutes work to re-package these...

"...including shuffling files around by hand and even hand-coding some XML properties files..."

Even editing an XML file... they are simple text files it doesn't get much easier!

Silver badge
Alert

Re: A bit overdramatic

Overdramatic? El Reg? Never!

Paris Hilton

Well...

Maybe Google should push an update to Android Wear to allow it access to the assets/ folder?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon