back to article Reg reader fires up Pi-powered anti-cat garden sprinkler system

It's a tip of the hat today to Reg reader Joshua Thumim for putting the humble Raspberry Pi into the service of humanity with a simple but effective feline repellent system. Joshua explained: For the last few years, pretty much every time I (or my two small kids) wanted to use the garden I'd first have to remove 3-5 cat …

Bronze badge

I'm cataleptic with mirth

(I apologise in advance)

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Holmes

Fat dogs with huge jaws should also work

know that these cats belonged to my neighbours who had nice turd-free gardens thanks to being cat owners

I am not knowledgeable in cat psychology, only knowing that the nasty buggers ferry around the crud that causes crazy cat lady syndrome, so is this some territorial behaviour?

Also, patent, patent!

Bronze badge

Re: Fat dogs with huge jaws should also work

Fat dogs with huge jaws might prevent the cat crap issue, but what does one do about the fat dog crap?

but what does one do about the fat dog crap?

Tigers!

Silver badge

It's bigger all the way up.

Most dogs (especially retrievers) will eat the cat crap; it's like a uniquely flavoured protein snack or something for them.

Happy

Splendid

High quality nerdage.

I want one!

can't stand the blighters

TRT
Silver badge

I love a video...

about wet pussy.

Silver badge

Re: I love a video...

But, as this was in Blighty, it's not a hot wet pussy.

Bronze badge

An excellent system

But I'm not quite sure why it needs a Pi.

Surely a simple timer would be cheaper?

Anonymous Coward

Re: An excellent system

Then it wouldn't take them by surprise and would waste water. Animals are pretty clever and if it was on a timer they would just work out when it was safe to poop...more than likely, being that cats are sadistic bastards, they would poop on the nozzle so that when the timer kicked in it would fire shit all over the place.

I assume Jess means using the same PIR and valve but with a simple timer to let the hose run for a short while after the PIR fires (similar to how a security light works).

That would be a fairly simple electronics project, and would work, but you wouldn't get the fun videos - which he mentions help to set up and calibrate the system as well as providing endless amusement.

Silver badge
Pint

Timers are easy even for an animal to work out, the cat would soon work our when a toilet stop was possible. You need something to take snapshots using a camera, then detect changes from the last to the next image, changes in the image capture stream mean something has moved into or out of the view of the camera. It's the basis of how most home CCTV units work. It takes time to tune home CCTV so it's not going off every few minutes 'cos a tree has moved in the wind or a cat has run through your garden ( stopping for toilet breaks sometimes! ).

You can usually get some OSS that will do the same for any webcam, the clever bit is using it for something wise and wicked like this, a superb adaptation of technology by this gent. I have female cats and we back onto a river, so they go down the river and are not territorial enough to bother going next door for a crap.

timer knows when the cats there does it?

@Amorous Cowherder

Did you actually read how this works? The cat is detected using a simple PIR sensor (as used for security lights, burglar alarms etc) not any fancy image processing. PIRs have the advantage of detecting only warm bodies (like cats and people) not trees moving etc.

The webcam is just for fun, and for calibrating the system.

Silver badge

"But I'm not quite sure why it needs a Pi."

Indeed, the only use of the Pi is controlling the Pi Cam to record the event. The triggering of the solenoid (and I assume the reset) doesn't get controlled by the Pi.

IT Angle

> But I'm not quite sure why it needs a Pi.

See icon --->

Silver badge

All it needs is an atom and/or twitter feed along with a web server so we can be notified of the new videos. I mean this is way more entertaining than anything on tv.

Silver badge

I expect you pay for garden fertiliser.

Then complain when the moggies offer it for free.

Silver badge

Re: I expect you pay for garden fertiliser.

Nope, have a compost heap. A compost heap that cannot give you Toxoplasmosis.

Re: I expect you pay for garden fertiliser.

carnivores dont produce very good fertiliser

Damn you El Reg

You made me watch cat video's on You Tube

I'm such a cliché now

Grrrr

Re: Damn you El Reg

A shame you didn't spend the time watching a video on the proper use of the apostrophe instead.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Damn you El Reg

Here's the video you requested to complete your education

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OKcB-aJtt4&list=PL8CEEF7B954FCBF33

Pint

kudos

have a beer

Bronze badge

Elegant solution

I have a cat, and wouldn't be a bit bothered if one of my neighbours installed this. In fact, I might give it a go myself - furry little bastard ruined my last lawn re-seeding.

Childcatcher

Minor Issue

Can it tell the difference between the cats and his kids? Probably not too important on a summer's day...

Silver badge

A quick read of the Thumb up/down state....

More cat haters than lovers on here so far......Welcome to our Cat Detesting Overlords!

Silver badge

Er, no point in down voting the comment on the thumb up/down state. You need to downvote the original post for it to be statistically pertinent.

Silver badge
Happy

Evidently the mod isn't one of them.

Silver badge

Oh No! Looks like the cat lovers have got the op deleted. (My first ever deletion - and it's on a cat subject. How odd....good job I never posted that Kickstarter campaign for a statue of Jimmy Saville)

Shame on you all. Please acquire a sense of humour. You'll find the internet a much better place with one.

Silver badge

Jimmy Saville? Quite the mad cat, indeed.

Silver badge

Generally jokes have to be funny.

Silver badge

Not in the UK.

water pistol

I'd envisaged something more sophisticated involving a water pistol and targeting computer. But the only off-the-shelf targeting computers I could find were only keyed to hit womp rats. :(

This is great use of home brew tech though - simple but working does the trick every time.

Silver badge

Re: water pistol

You mean something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPgqfnKG_T4 ?

It uses OpenCV for image recognition.

Bronze badge
Flame

For about £30

You can buy one of these from Amazon

What would be an interesting use of some sophisticated computer equipment would be if it could track the animal as it made it's escape and know the difference between cats and people.

Anonymous Coward

Re: For about £30

"What would be an interesting use of some sophisticated computer equipment would be if it could track the animal as it made it's escape......"

......And soak the owners too.

Re: For about £30

I've got one of these and they are so badly made the Hozelock connector just pops off.

Reworked it to be a better seal, but it's still doesn't do the job.

The cat_o_bolt looks a much better product.

A worthy Kickstarter project I think!

Good, but...

... what about a paintball sentry gun? :o)

http://youtu.be/nTs7VRFV36c

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: Gruesome

Certainly an ingenious idea, my good fellow.

These days, you may get done for chemical warfare for this though.

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: Gruesome

Moderation here is like Obama-ordered drone signature strikes...

Joke

This seems like a better solution...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQDy-5IQvuU

;-)

Bronze badge

Come on

if if doesn't work against an alien what chance does it have against a cat.

Bronze badge

smashing idea, but...

This sprinkler system idea is brilliant and I will immediately begin working on such a system for my elderly mum. The hard part for me is to get the system to distinguish between cats and my small dog* who sometimes accompanies me over there. Any thoughts on how to accomplish that? In principle, I don't mind the dog getting wet. However, then I'd have to dry him off before I return home or he'd ruin the car upholstery.

*Schnauzer/Yorkie mix, so not much larger than your average house cat.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums