1. Stuart Moore

Too Much Clickbait

Dear Register,

Please stop being so clickbaity. There's currently an article with the headline

"Wannabe Startup CEOs Hate This Guy: One Easy Way To Raise $45,000+ You Won't Believe"

and while the article might interest me, I've decided not to read it because I am fed up with the trend of headlines becoming absolutely useless at telling what the article is about.

Please treat your readers with some intelligence. Jokey headlines - great - but at least give enough info in the headline & sub headline that we have some idea of what the topic is about.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Too Much Clickbait

I think you are referring to one of the more sleazy ad brokers they use - I agree, they are totally sleazy. I was disappointed when El Reg started using them. I mean, Reg Staffers, have you seen how sensationalist and inaccurate these links are?

1. Stuart Moore

Not an ad - this was the headline of that story on the front page! It's at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/07/kickstarter_wtf/ (I copied the URL but didn't click on it as I'd rather page views for that kind of headline went down...)

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"Please stop being so clickbaity"

Ah, it was a joke; a sendup of stupid headlines that claim you can make $$$s with one weird trick. Can't you tell it was out of style? Every word was capped up, and it's like no other headline on the front page.

"Jokey headlines - great"

This must be what it feels like to tell a joke on stage and be met with silence.

C.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
        Thumb Up

@Stuart.... ah, sorry, I didn't see that one.

@Chris, the Outbrain headlines seem to be behaving themselves at the moment too!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon