back to article Lindsay Lohan sues Grand Theft Auto V makers for 'using her image'

Actress Lindsay Lohan is suing game devs Rockstar and Take-Two for allegedly copying her into their Grand Theft Auto V (GTAV) game. Grand Theft Auto Lindsay Lohan lookalike Lohan claims that the character of the rather vapid actress "Lacey Jonas" in the game amounts to using her likeness without permission and has accused …

Page:

1. Alien Doctor 1.1

Looks more like...

Brandy Ledford from Andromeda in the article picture to me.

1. g e

Re: Looks more like...

Seconded, having just googled her. Much more like her than Lohan

2. Ian Yates

Yeah... I didn't think of Lohan when I first saw the image... Maybe she needs a new revenue stream?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hollywood actresses all look the same anyway.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

It just looks to me like a generic blonde stereotype, not like anyone in particular

1. Fungus Bob

"a generic blonde stereotype"

Yup, that'd be Lindsay Lohan....

4. ItsNotMe
      Pint

Lindsay...have you started drinking again? You know how irrational you get when you do that. Please be a doll and stop...again.

5. LarsG

Can't see any powder around the nose... So it can't be her can it?

2. Mr Shouty
    Holmes

"Rockstar and Take-Two’s use of her likeness was done solely to make money"

And her lawsuit isn't?

Can't see the resemblance myself. Could possibly be due to the fact the artist's work doesn't count for years of alcohol and drug abuse.

Whatever

1. Tank boy
      Holmes

Re: "Rockstar and Take-Two’s use of her likeness was done solely to make money"

Dammit you beat me to it.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Making money? So immoral!!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The point of the lawsuit is that she's entitled to make money from her own image and other people aren't.

1. Tom 13

Except that in the US, that isn't a valid basis for a lawsuit. Especially as a public figure she is very, very subject to the parody exception.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

And the next version includes a crack-lady-of-negotiable-affection who looks exactly like Ms Lohan - with extra points if you kill her

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The point of the lawsuit is that she's entitled to make money from her own image and other people aren't."

Is she? Aren't they? I don't remember voting for that.

3. A J

But it wasn't for the money, it was done solely for the LoL's.

4. Tom 13

I was thinking along the same line: character doesn't look skanky enough to be Lindsay.

Even if it did, in the US: Parody!

3. John 110
    Unhappy

What!!?

That's NOT Lindsay Lohan? I'm not buying it then. What a gyp!!

4. hplasm
    Happy

Well then-

El Reg's SPB better watch out...

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Coat

Re: Well then-

No worries...the aircraft looks nothing like its namesake, and contains far fewer banned substances.

1. Captain DaFt

I don't know... It is rather thin, and those wings do rather resemble spread legs.

http://regmedia.co.uk/2013/09/22/lohan_team_vulture_2.jpg

1. Peter Simpson 1
          Happy

Yeah, but the paintjob is far better than the human version.

2. fishman

But it gets high and then crashes.

5. NogginTheNog
    Paris Hilton

"The cover for the game features a woman that could arguably be said to look like Lohan"

Ha! She wishes.

6. GregC

Having done that side mission in the game

The character struck me as more of a general representation of the sort of vapid, airheaded bint that seems to pass for celebrity these days than anyone in particular. Ms Lohan shouldn't take it personally, she's one of many.

1. ShadowedOne

Re: Having done that side mission in the game

If her argument is that she is the definitive vapid, airheaded bint, well...the case might be a slam-dunk for her..

1. GregC

You have a point....

Can I claim Paris Hilton as prior art?

2. Tom 13

Her only sort of hook is the story line following some of her exploits so closely. But at that, you're allowed to use it. See Kitty Kelly, any of her "unauthorized" biographies.

7. NoneSuch Silver badge

Makes sense as Lindsay Lohan is obviously the only bikini wearing blonde in California.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bikini+blonde+california&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HlW1U7H8N4qYqAaWvIHwDw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1738&bih=1490

8. DNTP

A person who LIVES as a parody of society should understand about fair use and such… but then is suing over it being MORE or LESS in character?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It probably is a parody of her

But the character is sufficiently different that she will have a hard time proving it, especially as the physical appearance is so different

10. disgruntled yank

It is unequivocal?

It might be undeniable, or attorneys might prefer to believe so.

11. Neil Barnes Silver badge

"a mobile that could arguably be said to look like Lohan"

It's the rounded corners that give it away.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nah, cant be her.

No track marks in the arms, no teeth missing from meth abuse and no drooping eyelids or yellowing from jaundice brought on by excessive alcohol consumption.

Tell the daft bitch to get a grip and jog on...

13. Steve Evans

Ha...

Just because they're rendered on a two dimensional surface, it doesn't make them as shallow as you Lohan!

14. Steve Crook
    Coat

Fail.

"The cover for the game also features a woman holding a mobile that could arguably be said to look like Lohan"

It's going to fail. The mobile looks nothing like Lohan.

1. VinceH

Re: Fail.

Dagnammit! That was going to be my line!

15. g e

Used her VOICE ?

How hammered was she not to realise she was in a voice booth for Rockstar when that got recorded?

Unless they somehow stole (actionable) or got a royalty-free (tough titties, Lohan) bunch of her speech then that shows she knows exactly what was going on, excepting the afore-alluded-to hammeredness.

It could of course be an intentional and cynical tie-up between Lushy Lohan and Rockstar to generate coverage, let's not rule that out.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a fair cop

Rockstar have been caught red handed here and deserve to pay:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrnkUr2IcAAgwfJ.jpg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a fair cop

Very good. Has this been submitted to Private Eye's Lookalikes?

17. jixer08

Looks more like Kate Upton to me

18. jai

The cover for the game...

Actually, the girl on the cover "could arguably be said to look like" Shelby Welinder, the model that Rockstar hired.

Perhaps she can now sue Lohan for trying to appropriate her image?

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
  19. GBE

I thought LL _was_ a parody.

You're not going to tell me all that dim-wittedness is for real are you? She's clearly devoting her whole _life_ as a 24/7 performance that parodies the pointlessly rich and famous.

Well done Lindsay!

20. JamesPond
    Holmes

There's no such thing as bad publicity

A teener says this is just a ploy to increase LLs profile. Lets face it, her acting career is down the tubes, she's got to something to deserve the celeb title to get on the next Celebrity Big Brother.

1. PassingStrange

Re: There's no such thing as bad publicity

Had the same thought - even chose the same title. Ah, well, serve me right for not reading down the full thread first.

21. Neil Stansbury

Be careful El Reg...

She looks just like a rocket plane going into LEO - you guys could be next, the likeness is remarkable, and you've even flagrantly named it after her...

22. southen bastard

I can see the next up grade has her as a worthless crack whore, that can be used and abused ( much more like her real life) or that just stagers out on the road trying for tricks from speeding cars, and is now just life carnage (just like her real life)

23. Frank N. Stein

Lohan is reaching pretty far with this lawsuit. The picture in this article does not look at all like Lohan. This lawsuit of hers is little more than an attempt to achieve relevance in the public eye again. What was the last movie she played in that sold well at the box office?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Her last film?

Vapid. aka Vacuous II.

Also check out her autobiography "My Head Whistles In a Crosswind".

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon