back to article Microsoft to shutter security email feed on July 1

Microsoft will suspend a 12 year-old email mailing list that offers news of security updates, in a decision possibly tied to tougher Canadian anti-spam laws. As of July 1st 2014, sysadmins and infosec bods will get their news from a Redmond RSS feed to receive update of new Microsoft security alerts. "As of July 1, 2014, due …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Salts

Interesting, but...

Not sure what this is about, a respectable Canadian company emailed me last week and advised unless I went to their website and agreed to them continuing to send me emails they would have to stop as of 1st July, due to new laws.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Interesting, but...

Got this from QNX

2. hplasm
    Coat

I'm tempted to enter the draw.

I'd like to win a $500 hat.

probably runs Win8 though.

1. Ian Yates
      Joke

Re: I'm tempted to enter the draw.

Depends. Might be red.

3. busycoder99

Looks like our government

is really catching up with their cronies down south in terms of stupidity.

I knew most of them were technically illiterate, but had no idea they would be stupid enough to think passing some law would automatically stop spam.

All this does is hurt the local small businesses, the guys who are legitimately providing a useful service, but don't have the big bucks to take out an ad on TV and play like the big boys. Email provided a cheap and efficient way for them to advertise without losing their shirt. Somehow, I don't think the prince of Nigeria would give a crap about our laws when he has 50 million waiting to be transferred to my account pending the click of a button and a cheque for $2000 for 'administrative' charges.

On the other hand, this is probably yet again an ingenious ploy by the lawyers to keep themselves busy till the end of time. So it is a win for the lawyers and a win for the mega corporations at the expense of small businesses and mom and pop shops. New world order, here we come!

</rant>

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like