back to article cosmic belch from supermassive black hole stuns boffins

The dimming of the bright centre of an active distant galaxy may be the result of unexpected behaviour from a supermassive black hole at its heart, according to NASA. A black hole Bad gas ... Artist's impression of a black hole The scientists, using NASA and ESA space observatories including the Hubble Space Telescope, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Interesting stuff, once more

Bit borderline magnitude for my scope, but I should try to hunt it down if I get a chance. As Seyfert galaxy, it should have a bright core (they are not JUST bright in X-ray and UV).

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

This is why people complain about the streetlights being dim when we walk home from our real ale and curry nights...

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
      Coat

Okay, I will escalate this right away.

@Spartacus: Those are gaseous expulsions from brown holes, mate.

1. Scott Broukell
        Coat

ionised wind

A commonly heard complaint throughout the West Indies after the consumption of excessive amounts of very hot, spicy fried chicken, usually blamed on the mysterious black-hole of Babylon.

1. hamcheeseandonion
          Mushroom

Re: ionised wind

Once had a girlfriend from Yorkshire, who was a fiend for the combo of Newcastle Brown and pickled eggs.....(ye gods how i must have loved that woman).....

Now THAT my friends is out-gassing of hard radiation....this thing?......meh.

(no gas mask icon, so this'll have to do)

2. Scroticus Canis
      Coat

"real ale and curry nights..."

Well a vindaloo or by preference a Bangalore phal will usually get rid of the taste of real ale. Yuurgh! Reinheitsgebot or make mine a G&T.

(uppies anyway)

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

"Bad gas ... Artist's impression of a black hole"

This artist has flunked art school and now goes into "scientific illustrations" unencumbered by any idea of what he's drawing about.

A "black hole" is not a Hollywood-style sinkhole in space. It "looks" like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: "Bad gas ... Artist's impression of a black hole"

Black holes are very messy eaters, some 40% material escapes it, and it is this escaping matter which is illustrated. Wikipedia article shows impression on a black hole in empty space (and very close, too), but this is not the the case here.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

Re: "Bad gas ... Artist's impression of a black hole"

Black holes are basically cosmic Cookie Monsters...

4. Euripides Pants
    Coat

Wrong name, surely

"a long-predicted shielding process that allows powerful gas winds to be accelerated to high speeds out of a black hole"

Shouldn't they be calling this an ass hole?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like