back to article Surprise Android 'KitKat' update fixes nasty OpenSSL vuln

Android fans who are hoping Google will debut a new version of the OS at its annual I/O conference in San Francsico next week might be in for a disappointment ... because the company is rolling out a new version this week. On Friday, the Chocolate Factory published firmware images of Android 4.4.4 – yes, we're still talking " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gene Cash Silver badge

3 to 5 weeks?

T-Mobile had the 4.4.3 update on my Moto G in a couple days.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 3 to 5 weeks?

Please read the article.. they're saying 3-5 weeks for 4.4.4.

2. Snowy Silver badge

My Nexus 7 only updated to 4.4.3 today, but my Nexus 4 update more then 2 weeks ago.

1. Tom 35

I had about 2 weeks between my Nexus 4 and 7 as well.

2. AbortRetryFail

Yes my Nexus 7 2012 only just updated to 4.4.3 too.

3. El_Fev

I have a samsung s3 mini

Wish I had had got an iPhone instead, at least I would have got updates. :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I have a samsung s3 mini

Other Android options, without Samsung bloatware, are available.

1. Grant 5

I got fed up with the performance of my S3 the other day and nearly bought a new phone, so I decided to try Cyanogenmod before shelling out. The Cyanogenmod installer took 10 minutes and was literally a point and click installer from Windows. It installed a new fast ROM and a copy of Clockworkmod as a recovery option.

Since then I've enjoyed upto date Android and the speed of the phone is amazing, it's as fast as when I got it nearly 2 years ago if not faster. I'm really impressed, have a read and give it a whirl.

http://beta.download.cyanogenmod.org/install

1. El_Fev

S3 mini international not supported!! so basically the version sold in the UK , is unknown, ffs

definately going iphone next time!

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Does this not work? http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Unofficial_Ports#Samsung_Galaxy_S_III_Mini_.28GT-I8190.29.

Or linked through there, http://novafusion.pl/

(I don't have anything to do with these packages)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Bob Vistakin
    Headmaster

Huh?

Why does a minor update today prevent a major update being announced next week?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So,...

Yet another reason for junking the Samsung S3 as they have refused to release and KitKat versions for the International version so now we're stuck with an even more insecure device.

1. John Sanders
      Go

Re: So,...

Do as grant 5 said and install cyanogenmod, you will get 4.4.4 in your phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which leaves you with no way of using the Barclay's bank app as cyanogenmod counts as a routed device.. Or are you suggesting I change my bank as well as the software on my phone.

Also it voids any warranty so Samsung will not repair any physical defect with the phone (including a faulty battery or a cracked screen or bezel) if its not got their bloatware on it...

1. dotdavid

CyanogenMod disables root by default, since 2012 anyway (from memory you have to go into some kind of hidden developer menu to enable it, which frankly is impossible to do by accident). Unless your banking app is checking for the vendor code or something it should work fine.

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/security-and-you

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...junking the Samsung S3..."

I thought that they committed battery-discharged-too-far suicide anyway.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Running 4.4.4 here on all my Android devices

Don't know what the fuss is all about with slow update cycles. Perhaps people were steamroller into buying what other people had rather than using their heads.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moto G

Why's my Moto G still stuck on 4.4.2, and telling me it's up to date? (Got it from Tesco)

1. dotdavid

Re: Moto G

The Tesco ROM for the Moto G is slightly different to the standard ROM and has to wait for Tesco Mobile to finish tweaking it before it is released. You can flash the standard ROM manually if you want slightly quicker updates.

8. Rob Carriere

Most Android devices suffer from a double MitM attack (Manufacturer in the Middle).

As far as I know, there are two ways to avoid that. First, buy your device, don't get it via a carrier plan. That gets rid of the one middleman. For the other, either get one of the Nexus devices, or install Cyanogenmod.

9. Lobrau

HTC trailing once again

My HTC One updated to 4.4.2 just last week. Not sure whether this is due to HTC's lab processes or Three being slow pushing the update; perhaps even a combination of the two. I think this one will go the way of my Wildfire S and be getting the Cyanogenmod treatment once the contract expires.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like