back to article Han Solo headed for lengthy stay in bacta tank after Bay Door Control cockup

Someone at Pinewood Studios' equivalent of Bay Door Control is probably in a good deal of trouble after septuagenarian Hollywood heart-throb Harrison Ford had his ankle broken "by a garage door" on the set of the new Star Wars movie. Ford, 71, is to reprise his role as interstellar smuggler scamp turned Rebel general Han Solo …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Going to be the best film ever,

Hans down!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Going to be the best film ever,

So one month into filming and they don't have a leg to stand on.

1. NumptyScrub
        Coat

Re: Going to be the best film ever,

He must have been hopping mad after that one ^^;

2. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

I always thought the doors closed a bit too quickly. At 71 I'm not surprised he couldn't get out of the way in time.

1. Rob

I agree, something I always noticed as a kid is how violently fast doors close in Star Wars, I think it even produced a couple of nightmares. No doubt Harrison will probably be suffering from similar now.

I wonder how HGTG Marvin would describe the Star Wars doors, they are hardly depressing ;-)

1. Anonymous Custard
        Alien

What is it about Star Wars and doors?

Not only too fast but also not high enough, leading to the infamous stormtrooper headbanger.

Probably explains all the armour when inside their own space-station (or is it a small moon?). I'm sure the Emporer's evil elf n safety minions would be right on it too...

1. Vinyl-Junkie
          Coat

Re: What is it about Star Wars and doors?

So what you're saying is Luke was the ideal height for a stormtrooper?

2. Grikath

depressing, @ Rob

"I wonder how HGTG Marvin would describe the Star Wars doors, they are hardly depressing ;-)"

Unless they close down... ;)

3. A K Stiles
    Black Helicopters

NHS or Private?

So is the hospital in Oxford to which he has been airlifted a private or NHS one and who is paying for it?

1. Norphy

Re: NHS or Private?

Assuming that you're not trolling, presumably his insurance company is paying for it being as he most likely doesn't pay NI...

1. Khaptain Silver badge

More likely Pinewood's insurance company as this, I presume, will be classed as a work accident.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

More likely Pinewood's insurance company

Let's hope they don't leave him pining for the fjords. On the plus side, he's now truly Han "Solo".

Maybe he'll do pirate movies now, could be fun putting him together with Johnny Depp :)

2. A K Stiles

Seriously not trolling - AFAIK the NHS will treat you, whoever you are and wherever you come from, with the theory that they then try and reclaim the costs from you (well, your insurance anyway) if you aren't an entitled citizen.

1. MrXavia
          Thumb Up

The NHS is great, sure diagnostics for chronic conditions (non A&E stuff) can take time, and the NHS does really need to work on that side of things. BUT we are all treated, no one is left to die or suffer because they don't have insurance!

2. AndrueC Silver badge

I think it's joint. Or parts of it are. I had an MRI there several years ago paid for by my PMI. My GP had also offered to send me there but she could only offer a wait time of 'six months to never'(*). Bupa got me in within the week.

(*)It was for plantar fasciitis so was not critical and of questionable diagnostic value.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've been out of circulation for a while...

... but what is an "acteur"... and for that matter, a "Playmauteur"? I'm good with "diorama"s though thanks, due to my advanced age.

5. brooxta

Garage door my as...

... asteroids.

I bet it was a light sabre duel with JJ Abrams about whether the lens flare in a particular shot was going to obscure the trademark H Ford eyebrow-raise-and-eye-roll combo.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: light sabre duel

Solo is no Jedi. Think he couldn't light it up

1. brooxta

Hmmm, and that nicely explains why he's the one in hospital doesn't it?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Think he couldn't light it up

He used one to cut up that croaked Tauntaun.

6. sandman

Apologies - pure speculation to be found here...

He's been repaired in an NHS hospital - perhaps privately by a consultant who works both sides of the fence. Recuperation could be in a private room in the hospital or he could transfer to a private hospital. The boundaries between NHS and private are quite blurred.

If you have medical insurance in the UK, look carefully at what's not covered, a lot of the difficult stuff is done on the NHS...

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: Apologies - pure speculation to be found here...

"repaired"?

:)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He was clearly trying to re-enact the scene from the start of Indiana Jones for a laugh..

1. Nasty Nick
      Joke

Hope he managed to grab his hat...

wasn't that what he always did when roling under the closing doors ?

8. wolfetone Silver badge

Would never have happened if Ford Prefect was in the film.

9. Steve Todd

They managed to finish Gladiator after Oliver Reed died

It won't be too hard to digitally mat on images of a real, live Harrison Ford onto a body double. It may cost them more, but I doubt it will delay the film much.

1. i like crisps
      Alien

Re: They managed to finish Gladiator after Oliver Reed died

If they can Matte Olly Reads head on to a double then maybe they could matte Star Wars Episode 4, 'A New Hope' on to Star Wars Episode 7's final cut, thus ensuring total sucess at the box office?

2. Spiracle

Surely they can get Vic Armstrong to finish it off, like he did on The Temple of Doom.

3. xDR1TeK

But it won't be the same.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

A real world Tleilaxu Face Dancer?

No wait, that's another story...

10. A K Stiles

Production Schedule

Guessing there may be some subtle rewrites happening to ensure Han mostly appears in seated or reclined positions for the next few months of filming, if they can't just push his scenes back or CGI out the zimmer!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Production Schedule

A friend says that it's often cheaper to use CGI to remove an anachronistic object - than it is to re-stage and shoot the scene again.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Production Schedule

Then why was Russel Crowe still visible in almost every shot of Gladiator?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

In the final edit,

Greedo falls over first.

12. TRT Silver badge
    Coat

It's actually broken?

Wow. I thought it was just a Hanstring injury.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. i like crisps
    Alien

NEVER MIND HAN SOLO, WHAT ABOUT LUKE SKYWALKERS HEAD!!!

What the flip happened inbetween Star Wars (Ep4) and Empire (Ep5)? I sware to god that Mark Hamill was the recipient of the world first face transplant....its two different blokes, surely?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NEVER MIND HAN SOLO, WHAT ABOUT LUKE SKYWALKERS HEAD!!!

Mark Hamill was in a car crash IIRC, hence the scars and that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mark Hamill was involved in a car accident between the filming of 4 and 5 and received facial injuries, hence why the wampa scene was written to give it some sort of explanation.

1. i like crisps
        Alien

No...sorry lads i'm just not convinced...even my mam said at the time (1980) that it was a different bloke playing him.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Headmaster

People change when they grow up.

Amazingly, Luke was just a frecking kid in IV. I never saw it that way either, but he's basically Shinji Ikari with more support.

2. Glenn Amspaugh

Corvette Summer is the name of the movie. And yeah, a Corvette ate his face. Is why Empire started off with goggles and scarfs and then the Wompa attack.

15. i like crisps
    Trollface

"Lights, camera"...."ACTION"....."ARRRRGGG, my f**king toe"

It is funny though.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Apparently John Williams is to blame for him falling over on set

As they couldn't get Han's Zimmer.

1. Steven Raith

Re: Apparently John Williams is to blame for him falling over on set

That deserves more upvotes.

That is all.

17. ProfessorLarry

"Somewhat elderly Ford"? I am sorry, 71 is NOT elderly, not even somewhat. Ford and I are both just kids!

--Larry Constantine (pen name, Lior Samson)

1. Steven Raith

My dad agrees - he pushing 70, and he still goes up 150ft high chimneys on chemical venting/catalyst systems to consult on their install/repair.

He's got more life in him pushing 70 than I've got pushing 32!

Steven "one of three" Raith

18. Zot

He does seem sluggish and perhaps on pills for something.

It was as if his batteries were taken out in 'Enders Game.'

19. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Given all the splendid puns...

Surprised nobody went for the "Star Wars VII has a new cast" angle.

I'll be here all week, try the veal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Given all the splendid puns...

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good plaster.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.