back to article Hacker claims PayPal loophole generates FREE MONEY

A PayPal loophole can be exploited to earn free cash according to a convicted former NASA hacker turned white hat. Fraudsters can double their money, says Razvan Cernaianu, by funnelling cash into a mule account before filing for a transaction refund. To pull off the rort* a fraudster needs three PayPal accounts. One is a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dodel

[quote]Cernaianu, known as TinKode, was found guilty of hacking into the Pentagon, NASA and the British Royal Navy and ordered to pay $US120,000 in damages[/quote]

Using Paypal no ?

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

It's working!!!

I'm up to $137,438,953,472 right now, after thirty-some loops.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big deal

You could pull off essentially the same stunt with a limited company in place of the seller account and using credit cards for the "purchase", or in fact any arrangement that doesn't have some form of withholding to back a payment protection scheme. This isn't a bug, it's a risk of doing business for payment platforms.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Big deal

Similar thing happened to a small biz I used to work for. They were two businesses operating out of the same building. They bought everything through company, claimed the VAT back and then sold services through the other one but never paid VAT to HMRC. They got away with it for over a year before we turned up for work one day to find the blinds still drawn and the doors locked. Bastards.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or a seller can just scam you on e-bay

Recently had a case. Bought something for £100 ish but it was not as described. I raised a claim to return it and it was accepted by the seller.

E-bay e-mailed me to say they would be sending a postage paid label to send it back. This never arrived so I sent it back recorded and marked that it had been dispatched with the tracking number.

The seller was not in so the goods were kept at the post office with a delivery card. However the seleer didn't collect for over 10 days and e-bay just closed the case down as the case hadn't been update or further claim made in the required time period, no warning nothing. So now the seller has the goods back and my money and won't respond to me. E-bay will not help AT ALL!

They kept saying about their buyer protection which I kept saying "doesn't work" as it is just a facade that is simple for a seller to overcome.

All a seller has to do is waste a bit of time - even communicate with you to say they haven't received the return yet, they haven't had chance to pick it up, the refund is on the way, "oh no sorry I used the wrong details I'll just correct them". A few days for each and the time limit passes, they have the goods back and the money and they've never needed to use a corrct address and their e-mail address is suddenly not valid.

I explained this scenario to E-bay and they readily just said "yes, you can do that", I was surprised but they wouldn't help any more in my case and just said to go to the police.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Or a seller can just scam you on e-bay

Which is why I treat buying on eBay as a gamble - never bet more than you can afford to lose.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All a seller has to do is waste a bit of time

These are common scams that unscrupulous buyers exploit, as well as sellers, to game eBay's protection policy. My rule of thumb is to cancel any transaction I'm involved in if a buyer delays payment or a seller delays shipment for anything more than a couple of days.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Chris Wareham Re: Or a seller can just scam you on e-bay

The issue mentioned is after the goods have arrived (on time) and you are processing a return under the laughable "buyer protection" scheme.

3. Goldmember

As an ebay seller, I can assure you there are FAR more ways for a buyer to fuck over a seller than the other way around, exploiting both ebay and Paypal to rip you off. There are plenty of honest buyers and sellers, but a smaller (yet fairly significant) number who spoil it for everyone else. And ebay and Paypal just don't want to know, in spite of all their bullshit "protection policies." Like another poster said, buying and selling on ebay is a gamble. That's why every transaction I do on there now (buying and selling) never exceeds £50. I even factor a percentage of loss-making transactions into my figures to account for money lost to scam buyers.

I'd advise you to make larger purchases on Amazon as it's safer, and if you're paying for something worth £100 or more, use a credit card to pay for it. That way, if something goes wrong and you lose the goods and the money, the credit card company has a legal obligation to reimburse you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My experience is the opposite.

Not counting "buy it now" from sellers that are basically small shops with a presence on Ebay, in the last few yeasr I've bought at least 30 items ranging in price from a few dollars to several hundred dollars. Never had a problem. Had to file a case a few times, but every time it ended up being resolved to my satisfaction, except for when the seller mislabeled an item, and I was stuck paying the return shipping cost of $10 or so.

A couple weeks ago I ordered some rechargeable batteries from a storefront seller, was sent the wrong type, and the seller sent me 3x many for my trouble and I didn't have to return the wrong ones!

Maybe I've just been lucky.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

At AC, I had a very similar thing happen with ebay, the trick is here the seller delays the refund (despite having the good back) for over 30 days and the case closes automaticall with them having the good and the dosh. Simple answer phone ebay, i got a full refund. In the long term the simple answer is just esculate all claims regardless of the seller responding.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Phone eBay?

I don't think I've ever seen a phone number published for them. If they have, they certainly don't make it easy to find.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Original AC here, I did phone but they refused to help and later I got an e-mail from customer services supervisor who also said there was nothing they could do (specifically as it had just passed the 30 days limit no other reason).

It is ridiculous, all they need to do i ssee that the goods have been dispatched back to the seller and check (automatically) the tracking number. If it shows goods have been returned then the case shouldn't be closed.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not sure why this is described as generating free money when it is basically just stealing from paypal?

1. Lamont Cranston

If I find £10 in the street, and keep it,

that's free money to me. Granted, someone else is down by £10, but it's not me.

1. Bloakey1

Re: If I find £10 in the street, and keep it,

Technically that is called stealing by finding or theft by finding.

You are expected to take steps to find out who the real owner is.

1. Lamont Cranston
          Joke

Has anyone lost a tenner?

Really? What colour was it?

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

What puzzles me is the description of it as "earning" money. It isn't your money, you don't deserve to get it, you didn't earn it. Unless ripping off PayPal is considered virtuous.

5. Chad H.

Yeah, this isn't a bug at all , just abuse of their protection policy.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

... how is this a bug? Or a loophole? You might as well claim you've hacked the credit card companies, if you buy something on a credit card from yourself, claim it never arrived and get a refund, while quickly closing your merchant account before they can reclaim it from you.

Idiots.

7. david 12 Silver badge

Virtual credit cards

>Virtual credit cards were payment systems designed to combat online fraud by utilising temporary card numbers.

1) Do virtual credit cards still exist? If not, how old is this article?

2) If virtual credit cards do exist, who offers the service?

1. englishr

Re: Virtual credit cards

They do still exist, and I use them for almost all on-line purchases.

Mine is through Bank of America, and the product name is 'ShopSafe' (acquired when they purchased MBNA)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh how I love PayPals payment protection.

I only used it once, years ago so it might have changed, but I bought an item that never arrived, turns out it was part of a big scam. No probs, thought I, contacted PayPay who said 'Yep, well known fraudulent seller, here is 80% of your money back'.

Then got in touch with my credit card provider, explained how I had been defrauded and wanted to check there would be no come backs, 'no problems said my cc provider, do you want to initiate a charge back on PayPal as we will recover 100% of your money back'.

Well, you can guess what I did. You should have seen the snotty email I got from PayPal :)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe once

You might get one refund if Paypal didn't figure out the shell game but I guarantee you wouldn't get two refunds processed as Paypal manually monitors all refunds and can determine if accts. are fraudulent before the funds are refunded. First you'de need to be able to get approval on virtual credit cards which isn't likely to happen either. So the hacker was not as smart as he thought and the chance of making this shell game work are about zero.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: Maybe once

On the other hand, you could use this method to get someone else's paypal account shut down for fraud. Just make your victim's account the third one (as described in TFA), and they will end up with money in their account, while the attacker claims it back, making their account look like it's a mule, and the attacker not out of pocket.

Try convincing PayPal that you're legit when money is turning up in your account from this scam.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like