"Some of you guys I've never met in person but we've spent entire nights fixing bugs together," said Docker creator Solomon Sykes on Monday, moments before the open source technology went into its 1.0 release. It's been a strange journey for the Linux containerization technology, whose rise has been distinguished by both the …
When do they start travelling cluster to cluster/data-center to dc under some programmed criteria? That should be fun!
More a VVM really.
It virtualises the local kernel not the local hardware so it is more a virtual virtual machine. Cant run another OS though.
Still don't get it
What does docker give that the plain LXC tools don't?
Re: Still don't get it
Docker is basically LXC (aka chroot on steroids). However it does have a fast git-like way to tag, build and share containers, so I would say the advantage is mainly in ease of use.
As a sysadmin this sounds nice to me in theory, but as a programmer I'm afraid it will usher in a new era of platform dependence.
...as in "This website is only known to run on CentOS 5 (i386) with PHP 5.2, Python 2.1, Ruby 1.8.42, MySQL 5.1, and OpenSSL 1.0.1d"..... what could possibly go wrong?
- 'Kim Kardashian snaps naked selfies with a BLACKBERRY'. *Twitterati gasps*
- Crawling from the Wreckage THE DEATH OF ECONOMICS: Aircraft design vs flat-lining financial models
- Pics Facebook's Oculus unveils 360-degree VR head tracking Crescent Bay prototype
- Bargain basement iPhone shoppers BEWARE! eBay exposes users to phishing vuln
- Google+ GOING, GOING ... ? Newbie Gmailers no longer forced into mandatory ID slurp