Feeds

back to article Happy Birthday Tetris: It's flipping 30

Forget the oil, forget the gas – even forget the aggressive foreign policy. The commodity that granted Russia its modern day super-wealth is clearly Tetris, which clocks up its 30th birthday today. Youtube Video Poor old beardie Alexey Pajitnov – the title’s original designer and programmer – bashed out his first attempt on a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Happy

After-effects

Loved it. Less keen on the after-effects: putting my head on the pillow in bed after an evening playing and still seeing those falling blocks ...

Bronze badge

Re: After-effects

To be fair, that happens with any video game if you play it long enough. I've had it with wipeout, tony hawks, even doom.

Bronze badge

I had DDR dreams, when I closed my eyes I saw rising arrows.

Bronze badge
Happy

@monkeyfish - After Effects - To be fair, that happens with any video game if you play it long enough. I've had it with wipeout, tony hawks, even doom.

I nostalgically remember we played so much of The Sims when at uni, my housemate dreamt of living his life by progress bars! Good times.

Can't say I would want to have a Doom dream mind.

Silver badge

Especially Doom! Even dreamed of it while falling asleep during chemistry lecture.

Just to wake up and realising the bloody nightmare isn't over - I hated chemistry.

For me, it was Elite - could still see those spinning ships as I tried to sleep...

Silver badge

I spent an entire flight to Sydney playing it on a Nintendo thingy, then spent the entire flight back dreaming about it.

Silver badge

For me it was any of the Lego games, specifically collecting 'studs', especially once the multipliers and 'stud magnet' red bricks were unlocked and there was a constant stream of them.

Anonymous Coward

I used to have it from collecting psilocybe semilanceata. I do mean from collecting them as opposed to using them.

Silver badge
Angel

Even the CRT's dreamed of Tetris.

Long after they had powered down and gone to sleep, the images were still there...

Ever thought i was cool until i dreamt Doom

You touch them, that´s it

Silver badge
Coat

Tetris is boring

It must be, it's a game four squares.

Seriously: the soundtrack for the C64 version is brilliant. I'm going to listen to the whole damn thing when I can get onto YouTube.

I recall Tetris winning game of the year few years in a row beating all blockbusters... Yet now I can't remember which magazine was one published the chart. My first instinct was "BYTE" but not sure any more.

Bronze badge

Tetris 2

I've got the GB version on the 3DS now, and the music started playing in my head as soon as I saw the the word 'Tetris'.

But my favourite version has to be Tetris 2 on the ZX. It had a challenge mode with 99 levels. Some gave you a quota of 1's, 2's, etc, others gave you certain bricks to destroy, or just survive for 10 secs of stupid speed.

If you completed all 99 levels it would tell you to F*** OFF as you must have cheated. As it was, I was playing on an emulator, so I was able to save my progress and come back later. Which is cheating I suppose, so they were right.

Silver badge

Re: Tetris 2

Tetris 2 on the Spectrum is indeed the finest thing. I had a version for the Sam in which someone had adapted the AY music to the SAA; it's quite possibly the game I played most. Though my choice of computers didn't leave me exactly overflowing with options. Prince of Persia, anyone?

Bronze badge

Re: Tetris 2

The Sam coupé?! My best friend of the time had one of those.. In fact, is that you? He name was (and I presume still is) Thomas, and his surname began with and H. Does splitting a certain road-sign in half with bicycle ring any bells?

Silver badge

Clones

Tetris spawned a whole raft of puzzle clones as well which differed enough to ensure there were no legal problems. Columns, Puznic and even games like Atari's Klax owe alot to Tetris.

My favourite versions of Tetris are the Gameboy, but also the PD Giger Tetris on the Amiga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjLZGgP9T_Y

Silver badge

Re: Clones

Which was the one where you could play two player and cast spells at your opponents tableau?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Found it..

Tetris Battle Gaiden

Highly recommended

Bronze badge

Sounds good. Which platform was that on?

Silver badge

SNES I think

This song is going to be in my head all day now!

And I haven't even listened to it. Strange that i have not picked up that game in many many years, but I can still recall that music with crystal clarity. Every little pitch change and warble coming through those tinny little speakers.

And I know this is going to be my mental soundtrack to today and possibly the weekend, I don't mind it one little bit.

In fact I think the first thing I am going to do when I get home tonight is go dig through my old boxes for my gameboy! Which to my knowledge, still has the Tetris cartridge in it.

Opps, too late. I'm humming it to myself already.

I for one welcome our 2 dimensional, block dropping overlords.

Bronze badge
Go

Re: This song is going to be in my head all day now!

@Jimboom - One of my favourite music videos, introduced to me by Adam Buxton's BUG, is the 'History of the Soviet Empire to the theme of Tetris'. Absolutely glorious - http://youtu.be/hWTFG3J1CP8

Bronze badge

Haven't seen it in a while but yes, it's a great song!

It's my current ringtone. Every phone call is a little jaunt back to 1990.

Bronze badge

Tetris Watch

I had one of the Tetris Watches... My Mum had an East German pen pal and had purchased it as a Christmas Gift for their children.

My Dad pointed out sending them something with "From Russia with Love" printed on the packaging in December 89 probably wouldn't go down so well and I ended up with it!

Bronze badge

The perfect game

I came across Tetris first on the Mac Plus and I became addicted. Unlike games like Civ where a full game lasts many days (or not, if you can get by without sleep), Tetris can be played for 10 minutes in the middle of some necessary but dull work (like reading academic journals).

With Tetris you can set the level of your perfection, want it faster? start at a higher level, want it to solve it in style? then only eliminate 4 rows at a time and then strive to have no more than 4 rows at any one time, want it trickier? then start with a board already incompletely filled.

It is no surprise that it finds itself installed on or available to every new iteration of hardware.

Bronze badge

Re: The perfect game

Civ > all other games ever.

That is all

Bronze badge

Nethack > Boulder Dash > Civ 1 > the rest.

There.

Silver badge

Wuss! You'd be useless in a maze of twisty passages, all alike! Now get the xyzzy out of here!

Ok, I admit it. I won Moria, but I'm not so sure about my A-Levels.

Bronze badge

Perfect tedium

Obviously, I'm going to be downvoted for this, but Tetris is a boring puzzle game for people who can't do Sokoban.

I am the man

Who arranges the blocks

That continue to fall

From up above!

Silver badge
Happy

Re: I am the man

Tetris: A metaphor for life.

</crushing >

I had Tetris on the Gameboy, but I think my favourite was the version (ZTetris?) I downloaded for my TI-83 graphics calculator.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Data General DG/ONE

I worked at DG, and there was a copy of the Spectrum Holobyte version floating around. If you put it on the right machine, you could get the music. Oh, for the good old days of VGA graphics and tinny Russian music! Sad about the authors having to fight so hard for a share of the profits, though. The two of them deserve to be wealthy men.

Great game, my wife is still addicted.

// where's the Tetris icon?

Happy

Oblig.

http://xkcd.com/724/

http://www.kongregate.com/games/banthar/hell-tetris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korobeiniki

...I used to think I liked the Spectrum version most but after lots and lots of time on the Gameboy in two-player mode I found it odd to go back to. These days, I find Hell Tetris (see above) oddly calming whether taking it seriously as a game or just exercising the physics engine for a giggle.

Silver badge

Re: Oblig.

Its fine to invent silly variants, just don't combine it with other games

Silver badge

Playing where you shouldn't

The (PC) version I had included both a 'boss screen' (dummy spreadsheet) and a TSR version. Either was great for playing on the school computers at lunchtime.

Gimp

Sound of Tetris

I just liked the music, which I recently bought - both the game-version and a dulcimer version from a compilation of tues from Belarus - its apparently a traditional folk tune.

Silver badge

best clone ever.

Twintris on the Amiga. The single most beautiful rendition of Tetris ever.

Hours I spent with the ex missus on that game...

Hatetris

Here is "Hatetris", which always gives you the worst possible tetronimo.

http://qntm.org/files/hatetris/hatetris.html

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Too bad...

... that if it were a new game today it wouldn't work on the mobile market.

Bronze badge
Pint

aaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuughh.

Scarily enough I have a copy of welltris that still works. So much for this weekend.

Thumb Up

House rules

I remember gathering around a work machine to play Tetris. The background art on one of the levels featured a man with a striking resemblance to British F1 driver of the day.

Upon reaching that level, colleagues would call out (in their best Murray Walker voice)

And! It's! Man-sell!

At which point the keyboard had to be handed over.

Bronze badge

Bum baba bum baba bum baba bum baba bum baba bum ba bum bum bum

Bum ba bum baba ... now you got it in my head. Thanks a lot!

Silver badge

Why no coin op version ?

Genius game. Any platform, anywhere, anytime. It will out last all of us.

Wonder why there was never a coin op version ? Iron curtain shenanigans perhaps.

Re: Why no coin op version ?

There was, I've played it quite a few times. Two-player, at that.

There was also a Mickey Mouse Tetris machine, as I recall.

Silver badge

Oh yeah...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Tetris-commercial-coin-operated-arcade-game-/171346139756

Silver badge

I remember a video game with a 3D version (not called Tetris) that was awesome, and allowed competing against another player. Anyone remember what it was called? Saw it in the early 90s, maybe 1991 or so.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.