back to article Good news for gamers who don't leave the house: SanDisk debuts 24/7 Extreme PRO SSD

Gamers are told to take note: SanDisk has souped its Extreme line of SATA interface consumer SSDs to the Extreme PRO – which has doubled capacity, slightly increased speed and an eye-catching 10-year warranty. Last year's Extreme II featured a maximum of 480GB of capacity, random read/write speeds of 95,000/75,000 IOPS (4K), …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sequential read/write bandwidth of 550/520 MB/sec?

That's pretty standard and nothing special then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're right. They should add racing stripes.

2. Boothy

@ AC OP

Yup, my 18+ month old SSD already runs at that speed, and it wasn't a new model then, so no progress in the last 2 years then!?

1. Epobirs

Re: @ AC OP

The SATA-III interface is the bottleneck. The real action in SSD advancement is in more direct connections to the PCI-e bus. Anything that sits on SATA cannot compete on sequential throughput when that has already been maximized.

2. shifty_powers

Re: @ AC OP

"Yup, my 18+ month old SSD already runs at that speed, and it wasn't a new model then, so no progress in the last 2 years then!?"

Which shows that you have somewhat missed the point :P

The IOPS will have just as large an impact on performance for mot people as trhe headline mb/s speed.

I'd rather have a slightly lower mb/s speed and a much higher IOPS....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bugger the gamers…

10 years warranty did they say? I think I can see a bulk purchase of them for an OpenNebula cluster at my workplace.

3. nate1981

10 years on any HDD does not make sense. 10 years is a long time. Drives could be 100+ TB and much faster by then.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Who cares though? Current drives are fast enough for me, and the Seagate drive on this PC has a mfgr date of 27-AUG-2009, so that's almost 5 years old right there.

1. James O'Brien
        Happy

Only 5 years?

I have a set of 4 old 150Gb Raptors which I bought back in '07 which are still going strong. You get a well enough made product it will last a lot longer than similar product but cheaply made. Gotta love WD for their drives though I am in the process of switching out to the new(ish) 500Gb 840 EVO.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Only 5 years?

Ah, the 150GB Raptors. Grand drives. I still have some in use, and rather a lot of 74GB units. But the 300GB Raptors were made of fail and AIDS. May whomever handled WD through the TLER fiasco be consumed by 10,000 ants.

4. John Stoffel

I agree, the longer warrantee now makes it much more likely that I would buy one of these for my home systems, as well as work systems. But it does come down to the number of writes in the specs, which I haven't touched yet.

Don't you all look at warrantee length when you buy spinning rust too? The extra money is well worth it when/if a drive dies 4 years down the road. You might argue that it will be obsolutete by then, but it probably will still be useful no matter what.

John

5. Annihilator
    Paris Hilton

"the drive can be used 24/7"

Sorry, normal drives can't?

1. John Tserkezis

"the drive can be used 24/7" "Sorry, normal drives can't?"

They can, just don't expect them to last nearly as long.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like