Register reader Hajime Saito and a group of robotics experts known as "frtp" are looking to put a little fun back into robotics with a project called Telemba. I stumbled across their Kickstarter while researching telepresence robots and was intrigued by the idea of using a Roomba and an Android tablet to solve the problem. You …
The Telemba team was showing off an early prototype to Rethink Robotics and iRobot founder Rodney Brookes when it toppled over an embarrassing moment, but one that only helped to encourage the team to redouble their efforts.
That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw their diagram… the thing's going to be very top-heavy, and there isn't much one can do about it.
It's going to be like watching one of those circus unicyclists where the unicycle's seat is on a post about 6ft above the wheel.
The roomba is quite a bit heavier than a 7 inch tablet, so it is quite stable. We found that it topples over at about 40 degrees.
The problem is with sudden movements. I think the guys are working on this...
- Review Reg man looks through a Glass, darkly: Google's toy ploy or killer tech specs?
- +Comment 'Stop dissing Google or quit': OK, I quit, says Code Club co-founder
- Nokia: Read our Maps, Samsung – we're HERE for the Gear
- Ofcom will not probe lesbian lizard snog in new Dr Who series
- Rejoice, Windows fans: Stable 64-bit Chromium drops for Win 7 and 8