Feeds

back to article Rich bitch sorority girls actually more likely to put out than low-class 'sluts': Study

Devastating news on the "science" wires today, as authoritative profs of a sort have discovered that low-class poor girls well known to be "sluts" are actually less likely to give it up than posh sorority girls from wealthy families are. "Surprisingly, women who engaged in less sexual activity were more likely to be publicly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Only in America? I thought this was only in films.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Somebody needed to do a study to figure this out?

Rebelling against daddy is the usual reason.

Bronze badge
Pint

This is why...

"STUDY FINDS WOMEN WHO DRINK WAY MORE FUN TO STUDY"

http://www.satirewire.com/news/march02/women.shtml

Bronze badge

The real reason...

... is because they can, without consequences, and anyway, your (and my) opinions are of no significance.

"The rich are different from us" said Scott Fitzgerald. "Yes" said Hemingway, "they have more money."

Anonymous Coward

Re: The real reason...

The study is completely wrong. Low class girls get slutty fast because they like stealing rich boyfriends of sorority girls. It's like a sport to them.

But if you ask them, low class girls will say they are prudes because they think it makes them sound high class. Meanwhile, (boring) high class girls pretend to put out because they think it makes them more interesting.

Anonymous Coward

Is high class girls can afford the abortion.

Silver badge

> Is high class girls can afford the abortion.

Or more likely, poor people are used to having limits rather than indulging every impulse.

Also, those who have scratched and clawed their way to the top, or come from families who have, are more likely to try to keep the "others" down to maintain their supposed position. Quite obviously, the insults are not related to behaviour, which means they are just... insults.

I'm always surprised that people put up with behaviour or aspire to join such groups. A bit like the musical "Grease", its just weird and unpleasant.

To All You Shitheads.

Yeah, no.

None of you dumbasses have any idea what you're talking about, but you sir, take the cake.

"Low class" girls, AKA those who live average lives in a middle class household, don't give a shit about "high class" girls. Stealing someone's boyfriend is a dick move, and anyone will tell you that. Besides, even IF you for some reason thought it would be acceptable to steal another girl's boyfriend, why the hell you would you want someone who prefers girls of "higher status?"

This entire article is a piece of shit, but the idea that, as if we lived in some kind of wild fantasy land where men were the only thing women cared and/or thought about, is not only degrading, but stupid.

You're entire knowledge base seems to come from lousy chick-flicks that even those of the fairer sex can't stand for more than ten minutes.

So, in conclusion, here's a tip. Get you're dumbass misogynistic asses off the internet and try talking to some actuall girls for once. If THAT doesn't tell you how horrible you are, then you're a lost cause anyway.

re: goat jam

I don't think the study's main point is the loose morals of the social "Elite", but rather the use of lables and percieved morality as a method of control of social mobility and exclusion.

It is interesting that counter-shaming did not work, I'd be interested to know which factors led to this protection.

It would be interesting to see a similar study in the old world where universities do not have a fraternity/soriety structure.

Silver badge

Re: re: goat jam

The counter shaming probably didn't work because it was done by the unpopular non-sorority girls against the popular sorority ones. Which girl is going to be listened to?

...and which girl is going to be bullied for attempting to do the shaming? Which is ironic as the original "slut" label would normally be directed by the "posh" bully.

"Which girl is going to be listened to?"

Probably the one that is likely to sleep with you if you support them.

Anonymous Coward

"It is interesting that counter-shaming did not work, I'd be interested to know which factors led to this protection.

Counter-shaming won't work because nobody listens to a slut.

Silver badge

I don't buy it. Less affluent kinds being excluded with morality based labels is unnecessary. That's how people like to imagine the world works, but the less affluent are excluded simply because they don't have money. Saying someone is 'poor' is a far greater, and easily quantifiable, label. You don't even have to justify or explain it.

What's more, you're not really going to see much interaction between the college kids from affluent families and the less affluent kids. There might be a little bit of bleed over in classrooms at some schools but socially there will be very little. The 'poor' kids won't even be able to get into the places the 'rich' kids go to drink. If they're there it's because that's the easiest way to get some from a poor girl, you take her to a fancy place where your friends hang out, give them a peek at what life is like, screw them, then never take them back. That's been SOP since the Romans were around.

More than anything this strikes me as a case of people confusing middle and upper middle class with actual affluent people (rather, offspring of actual affluent people). That makes perfect sense as there is a lot of labeling coming out of that group. They're extremely self conscience because they know they are just masquerading as 'rich'. They've got to lord it over the poor kids before the real world starts and the difference between affluence and not becomes extremely well defined. Some people never get past that and spend their lives trying to act how they think wealthy people act, but the truth is they've got no fucking idea how wealthy people act. They don't interact with them anymore than they did at university.

Silver badge

Re: re: goat jam @Vince Lewis 1

> I don't think the study's main point is the loose morals of the social "Elite", but rather the use of lables and percieved morality as

If I read this as I think it was intended I find this a bizarre statement as it seems to get the label the wrong way round. I don't see *any* issue of morality in having more or fewer sexual partners, in itself. Provided no harm is done it cannot be immoral.

However "the use of lables and percieved morality as a method of control of social mobility and exclusion" is precisely an intent to inflict harm and so *is* immoral.

tl;dr sexuality isn't immoral, bullying is.

(I realise you weren't trying to excuse bullying but the 'sex = loose morals' bit I do find a bit off)

Bronze badge

"It is interesting that counter-shaming did not work,"

Disagree. The "elite" here have no interest in facts and most times are incapable of separating fact from opinion anyway.

Silver badge

It is interesting that counter-shaming did not work, I'd be interested to know which factors led to this protection.

Popularity can make you all but immune to the social consequences of your actions. Take, for example, that small town where the star football players raped a girl (the one Anonymous got involved in....I forget the names). The whole town jumped to defend the football player and the victim was labeled as a 'slut'. Now imagine if the rapist had been a nerd with no athletic ability to speak of and less than stellar social skills. How do you think it would have gone down then?

With that little bit of knowledge, is it any wonder that the counter-shaming didn't work?

Anonymous Coward

I love them whores they never judge! cuz what can you say when you're a whore!

E 2

"...rather the use of lables..."

surely you meant to say "...rather the use of labias..."!!

Thumb Down

Sociology or gossip?

Why is it anybody's business how these women dress or act? Couldn't the research team study what factors influence their final grades instead?

Silver badge

Re: Sociology or gossip?

I doubt the grades of the sorority girls matter that much. I suspect the sleeping around by these girls is done purely to find the best furture husband to take to the cleaners in a divorce.

Where do I apply for a grant to research this further?

Bronze badge

If you have to apply for a grant you are not rich enough for them to talk to

Silver badge

He will be once he has the grant.

Silver badge
Flame

>>"I suspect the sleeping around by these girls is done purely to find the best furture husband to take to the cleaners in a divorce."

Clearly you have never noticed that girls can enjoy sex too. This may be what we call a "sampling bias".

Silver badge

The basic flaw in all psych / socio "studies"

ISTM that most "research" carried out on social subjects or the inner workings of the human mind all start with a notice being pinned on a board in an american university. It reads something like:

Test subjects needed. Cash paid

and therefore the whole corpus of research in these subjects comes from studies of 18-21 y/o individuals from one single country, involved in tertiary education, who fancy or need a few extra readies. (Though you'd have to wonder why the "posh girls" got involved.)

Silver badge

Duh!

This was bloody obvious when I was at Uni a third of a century ago.

The "rich family" children would party & fuck anything that moved, happy in the knowledge that when they flunked out, daddy would take care of them. The folks from a less advantaged background were more interested in their studies. Except the male Jocks[1][2], of course, who were more interested in fucking the socialites than studying their game-plan, much less their curriculum.

[1] Disclaimer: I was a Jock. But I have always disliked the "look at me" set ... I think I was the only kid on my college baseball/football/hockey team that refused to date sorority girls. I mean honestly, you never had any idea where they had been ...

[2] Female Jocks? Whole 'nuther thing. All the ones I dated were serious about both school and sports. Must be an X/Y chromosome thing.

Re: Duh!

The phrase "you never had any idea where they had been" is itself an example of slut-shaming.

Silver badge

Re: Duh!

Birth control is key. Sleeping around without becoming unwantedly pregnant and, even the event, with the resources to "deal with it", depends upon informed access to methods of birth control. Remove that and it becomes a whole different, er, ball game.

Silver badge

@Joseph Bryant (was: Re: Duh!)

Re-read TOA, and then mine. For context this time.

Silver badge

@Charlie Clark (was:Re: Duh!)

Birth control is easy.

Controlling STDs is an entirely different kettle of worms.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @Charlie Clark (was:Duh!)

how about only screwing people you know and trust so you know they are free from STD's??? yes its shocking idea....

Bronze badge
Meh

AC said :- "how about only screwing people you know and trust so you know they are free from STD's?"

And you know that how?

Silver badge

Controlling STDs is an entirely different kettle of worms.

Not going to dispute that. My main point was about possible motivation for behaviour.

Then again, being rich is generally associated with better medical care and, therefore, lower perceived risks associated with personal choice. I think this has been shown across a range of activities from substance abuse to driving.

context?

Do the results actually apply anywhere else other than the curltural context of a North American university though?

Re: context?

pretty much everywhere in the western world from my own observations - possibly further afield too but lacking enough direct experience in eastern cultures i cannot draw any conclusions.

Bronze badge
WTF?

Thank god...

Someone is there to do this research, thank god we have world peace, no poverty and everyone is equal.

Otherwise this might be a massive waste of everyones time and money, which could be far better spent doing something worthwhile.

Silver badge

Re: Thank god...

Do you realise you've wasted at least five minutes writing your comment. Five minutes which could have been better spent solving poverty, the troubles in the middle east and finding out where the fluff in my belly button comes from. I think the latter is extremely important as it gives every indication of being the beginnings of a perpetual motion machine.

Anonymous Coward

5 Minutes?

How slow do you type Chris?

Has it ever occurred to you that the behaviour being described is an example of one of the very mechanisms of social control by the powerful that ensure that world peace doesn't happen and that poverty continues to exist? "Keeping the poor down" fuels social unrest and poverty.

Revealing it, clearly and unambiguously, is a first step to ending it.

Silver badge

Re: Thank god... @AC

>How slow do you type Chris?

If I'm to type the words and letters in the right order then very slowly.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Thank god... @AC

and finding out where the fluff in my belly button comes from

Your belly button contains a tiny nanoassembler programmed to create lint. Figure out how to reprogram it to spin gold and you're set for life.

Bronze badge

1968 - The Girl Most Likely by Jeannie C Riley - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Most_Likely_(song) - *yawn* - old news.

Very true, and the scouting for girls (i think) song:

"posh girls have good manners but they go like the clappers"

Anonymous Coward

They not only "go like the clappers"...

... but give you a dose to. As I found out after a débutantes ball (no pun intended) in London back in the '70s. AC for very obvious reasons.

Except all that link tells you is that the song exists. Try this one

http://www.metrolyrics.com/girl-most-likely-lyrics-jeannie-c-riley.html

Made in chelsea

As a young man I spent a good long while in various bars in chelsea getting bought drinks and sleeping with a variety of rich totty who were prone to using me and discarding me.

It was hell.

Silver badge

@The Vociferous Time Waster Re: Made in chelsea

You are a SLUT. Same as any other bimbo. And you seem to be proud of it. Why? Do you really disrespect yourself that much that you'll admit to it in an open forum? Seek help.

Re: @The Vociferous Time Waster Made in chelsea

Prude

Silver badge
Unhappy

Damn ... I must have been drinking in the wrong kind of bars!

Silver badge

quote: "You are a SLUT. Same as any other bimbo. And you seem to be proud of it. Why? Do you really disrespect yourself that much that you'll admit to it in an open forum? Seek help."

Anyone with a ranch would understand that animals rut, and would also be aware that humans are animals. Pretending otherwise is simply adding unnecessary tension and stress to social situations ;)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.