back to article Ask yourself, AT&T: Do you really want a Latin American adventure?

The recent $48.5bn merger agreement between US telecoms giant AT&T and leading US satellite TV provider DirecTV is being seen as a trigger for yet more consolidation in the US, with everyone looking for natural fits between each of the lonely remaining players. As usual, everyone seems to be looking in the wrong places for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

BellSouth is ATT

"it had swallowed Bellsouth"

No, BellSouth was a part owner in Cingular. BellSouth bought out its partners in Cingular, and bought AT&T. BellSouth then changed its name to AT&T.

Anonymous Coward

No, SBC bought AT&T and renamed themselves to AT&T. Then they bought Bellsouth

Silver badge

Government On Your Side?

I'm most curious as to why the author with the supervillain name thinks the Mexican Government wouldn't be in AT&T's corner. There is only one government on the continent, anywhere between the Equator and the North Pole, that doesn't have actual bribery offices fully staffed with eager liaisons more than happy to help make dreams of market manipulation through government regulation come true.

If anyone is unsure which government that might be, here are some hints. They export zero tequila, have more citizens than firearms, are universally house trained, easy to maintain and inexpensive to keep. Don't get me wrong, they've got PAYG systems too, but just not on every corner of every block in their capital cities. They tend to frown on people publicly hucking duffle bags full of money through their windows. They're just much more refined than US (Ha!) or the Mexicans in that regard.

Silver badge

Re: Government On Your Side?

Nuh-uh. The Mexican Government's current "edition" owes its ass to Televisa. In fact, DirecTV winded down its Mexico operations because SKY owned the market sometime around the turn of the 21st Century. Any attempt to barge into Televisa/TV Azteca's duopoly will fail miserably, mostly because Peña Nieto depends on those media moguls to prop up his government.

Silver badge
Happy

I didn't say it was likely, just that preferential government attention was a commodity. Which I guess you agree with too :)

Bronze badge

No Don,

I think it is more a case of "Government In Your Back Pocket"

Silver badge

Fact checking...

but then there remains Dish, already competing head-on with DirecTV in Mexico, but with no larger Latin America footprint.

Um… DirecTV hasn't operated in Mexico for at least 10 years, maybe longer. They lost out to SKY, which in Mexico is owned by our own evil media mogul: Televisa's Owner Emilio Azcarraga. That guy is basically the Mexican Rupert Murdoch… which makes SKY Mexico being owned by Azcarraga somewhat appropriate.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums