Feeds

back to article NBN Co is a big turn-off … for copper

NBN Co has announced it will start switching off copper connections to homes and businesses in some parts of Australia. The switch-off starts tomorrow, Friday May 23rd, when Armidale, Minnamurra and Kiama Downs in New South Wales, South Morang and Brunswick in Victoria, Townsville, Aitkenvale and Mundingburra in Queensland, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Unhappy

But what...

But what if I like my copper connection. It does what I want, at a price I can afford. And my ISP offers an unlimitted download. Sure, the NBN connections are all heavily subsidized now, but what happens when the NBN is sold off in 2017? No more heavy subsidies then. You'll all be left paying full market cost.

Happy

Re: But what...

There is always one, isn't there? Did you complain about the end of analogue mobile phone and TV coverage?

That ADSL of yours won't do what it currently does for long because, as Mr Tserkezis says below, Telstra haven't done any serious maintenance on copper and don't plan to resume doing so because the NBN is coming. The inconvenient fact that the anti-NBN crowd forget or just don't understand and desperately try avoid addressing, is that copper lines need a lot of maintenance, pretty much constant if my suburb is anything to go by, and it isn't cheap to do.

Unless you are on a cheap-skate, ISP-jumper budget special*, there's no real difference between the pricing of NBN and ADSL.

And finally, come 2017 and any sell-off, you'll be in precisely the same boat you are now.

So suck it up sunshine, the rest of the country wish they had your problem.

* Which are unsustainable. Take it from me, the days of ISPs bidding away each other's customers is over NBN or not.

Re: But what...

Under the old plan I am on the 20+mb adsl but the NBN plan is to shift me to the overloaded urban satellite spot beam since my coper goes to the subdivided block out front so no glass for me. If I could get decent rates on the 400 meters of duct rental to the exchange (and the 5 under the shared driveway), I would be tempted to get my own non-shared link there but for now that exchange is Telstra only.

Silver badge

But what...

But what about the rest of the country who *isn't* play beta tester? Those who are destined to remain on copper for the rest of time?

And this isn't always a good thing. I have a friend in Perth who has constant problems with his current copper on a regular basis. Talking to the Telstra techs, they tell him they're not going to do any extensive and expensive repairs (copper replacement) because the NBN is coming round any moment now, and there's no point in spending money on cabling system that's going to be demoted Real Soon Now.

Except it isn't. If you don't have fibre already, the odds you're going to get in in the future are real slim.

When those who stay on copper find out how much they are not getting the Neanderthals who stopped the NBN may find their popularity going down. Around here ADSL goes down just about every time it rains and Telstra is not going to do anything about it. Fibre would have been solved that problem and provided far better performance.

Percentage still on copper?

Are there any numbers around the percentage still on copper, percentage connected to NBN & those who've abandoned the fixed line?

This topic is closed for new posts.