back to article Intel shows off tech bubbles, low-power yacht racing and... a DIRECT solar charger

In London this week, Intel’s Innovation Future Showcase not only presented a glimpse of how the chip giant reckons we’ll be interacting with the world in years to come, but, more soberly, allowed visitors to toy with some forthcoming products and current offerings. Intel Galileo Bubbleao demo Fit to burst: Galileo Bubbleao, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Good Grief!

Are these just examples of Co-op Student projects?

Yawn.

Really Intel.

Silver badge

Well, at least give Intel props for coming up with a better solar power regulator. It's the kind of tech that can raise tolerances for the kinds of solar cells one can use and can potentially reduce the rollout costs as a result. May not be enough to take us breakeven, but I still call it a step in the right direction.

As for low-power PCs, that's becoming more a plus these days. But it does raise some questions, such as, "What about research into sweet-spot computing that can both crank out serious performance while still avoiding excessive power draw?" Now, I understand physics puts a hard limit, but I personally wonder how close we are to the theoretical limitations of an optimal power/performance ratio.

Bronze badge

Sweet, not having to know.

For me the sweet-spot is getting what I want to get done with computers without having to use grid power. Once I can forget how much the thing needs because it gets it from the sun/wind/hamster wheel/zero-point I can concentrate on "this one is a little better at rendering". I like reusing older stuff but it seriously pains me to see how much the older CPU's need while chugging along poorly.

On a yacht ...

With the price point of Galileo - yacht is where it belongs. The only real competition that i see to RaspberryPi are the OLinuxino device from Olimex - everyone else just makes stuff that is too expensive to be popular for prototyping things.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums